A little project from the shop
It was getting slow in the shop last week (read "bored") until I remembered a group of old rusty "Perfect Handled" screwdrivers that I had accumulated: Some time with the pneumatic grinder and 3M discs, a little Padauk from my stash and trip to the oscillating belt sander and they turned out not so bad (IMO).
Very nice. I like those screw drivers. I have a couple that I did a similar rehab to a few years back. But, they didn't turn out that nice.
Nice job!

I always wished someone would make a set like that in Phillips.

Ralpg
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Nice job. I love those screwdrivers. I have some I've acquired over the years,but I've never done anything with them.
They look great! Can you explain the process? Is the wood epoxied and riveted and then sanded to shape??
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Real nice job Oarlock. I like how the epoxy sets the wood off
Thanks for all of the positive comments. I just like the heft of these screwdrivers. Yes they are users.
Richard D: Yes, the wood is epoxied to the handles after the metal had been thoroughly cleaned with the small grinder using 3M "Twist-Lok" discs. The Padauk was wiped down with Acetone just prior to assembly to make sure that any oils were cleaned off. I added some "Trans-Tint" Black to the epoxy. The brass pins were epoxied in-place during the assembly. The handles were then ground down to the almost finished shape with my Rigid oscillating belt sander. BTW, the Padauk really loaded up the sanding belts, I was continually cleaning the belt with my crepe stick. Final shape was achieved by hand and finished with 5-6 coats of True-Oil.
Nice!