Job Opportunity for Carpenters/Woodworkers
The next movie or TV show you watch----pay attention to the doors on the sets. It won't be long before you start seeing wide gaps at the bottom and sides of doors, where you can clearly see light coming through the gaps----

Even with our mild weather here in Calif., those size gaps would never be acceptable in exterior doors. Yet for some reason, set builders in Hollywood or wherever movies and TV shows are shot, don''t seem to know how to properly hang a door.

Keep in mind that 95% of interior scenes are shot on sound stages where "room" only have two to three walls. Where it really gets funny is where the story's location takes place in an area with very cold weather.

Set and prop builders are usually very good at fooling us, but seem to fall on their faces when it comes to building a door/frame.

So, get a few video capture shots of these doors and send them with your resume saying how you could do much better.
Dave
A friend of my is a stage director and he had some time between gigs so he was helping me replanking an old 1925 Richardson cabin cruiser. He often commented on how nice it was to be working on something that was going to last more than six weeks. He has a play on in the city right now in the horror genre and getting good reviews.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Reminds me of some of the earliest Honeymooners episodes. Ralph would slam the door and the whole wall would ripple.
Here in Hollywood the standard is 1/8" on top and the sides of the door and the clearance on the bottom is determined by the flooring. I can assure you that most craftsman I work with can hang a door or their reputation would suffer. What shows are you speaking about and where are they filmed?
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
probably HGTV or DIY

Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Couple guys in my WW club used to build set professionally. The drawings they used to work from were incredibly detailed.

Money is now being saved on drawings and labor.

To quote one, "I picked a great time to retire."
Most drawings these days are done on computer so detail can be more or less than it was a few years ago. Work is plentiful this year so it is a lousy time to retire. People always talk about the good old days but our new contract is good and there is a lot of work in L. A.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Richard D. said:

Most drawings these days are done on computer so detail can be more or less than it was a few years ago. Work is plentiful this year so it is a lousy time to retire. People always talk about the good old days but our new contract is good and there is a lot of work in L. A.

His comment was made 2 - 3 years ago when work was flowing out of LA. Some is indeed flowing back now.