Making cabinet doors with plywood panels
The 5mm plywood sold as 1/4" is about .050" thinner than "advertised". I would raise solid panels or lay up veneer, possibly a figured veneer, to increase thickness and still use the space balls., but that just me ;^)
MDF or MDO is an option as well.
Never Give Up

ruffcutt said:

A very good response for solid wood, or painted. With ply on a natural, or stained/dyed finish the plies are seriously visible from inside, and not so nice looking. I really like a Shaker door, and that panel treatment is accurate there, just need to change the rail/stile bits.

For natural, or dyed/stained ply you really need to fit the panel, and either shim it out, or change the dado groove as mentioned. Unless you can source some true 1/4" like James mentioned. Hens teeth are easier to find
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for all the really good replies! Gives me a lot to think about.

Unfortunately, the panel raising bits that I was going to use, I bought from Sears quite a few years ago so finding another cutter to fit probably isnt an option.

The doors are for a sewing center I am going to build for LOML. She hasn't decided whether she wants it painted or stained. She is leaning toward milk or chalk paint. Since she is going to finish it, I can't complain. It does make a difference on the wood (kind and price) and now, how I build the doors.

Thanks for a great discussion and ideas! I'll post back on how it goes....