Original Colors for a Miller's Falls Mitre Box 16-1/2 (pre-1917)?
I just scored a nice little 16-1/2 MF Mitre Box. I am curious what the original color scheme would have been.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ncosman/...itre%20Box

I haven't begun to clean it up but the cast iron sections appear to perhaps have some black paint and the wooden platform is painted green (although this could be a replacement).
I am not entirely sure when this box dates probably pre 1917 (based on the Disston medallion)
I have seen more recent 16-1/2's painted the standard Red and Black, however I have also seen early large Langdon's that were painted black with the green wooden platforms.

Anybody have any ideas?
I saw that one on eBay. I thought the price decent bearing in mind it came with a saw.

Here is my #15 1/2 pre-rebuild ..

I am unconcerned about originality in my rebuild (hence not "restoration"). The original is quite drab - I hate to say it, but yours looks the correct colours. I have made a few small changes - nothing that cannot be returned to original. I am finishing up building a saw, and then will post it all.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek,

I suspect I'll end up gussying this little box far beyond original spec, but I am still interested in what is "correct" as a point of reference.

I have been inspecting it more thoroughly and I now believe that the castings may not have been painted at all. It made have been coated with some sort of protective lacquer that has since gone yellow giving the metal parts a brownish appearance (there is almost no rust). This is evident from continuity of the finish underneath the paper sticker. The green paint of the wooden platform is also is carried under the abrasive (which appears to have been applied directly to the paint). I believe this is the correct, original color scheme.

I have a ~1887-1905 Langdon Adjustable and a New Langdon Improved that I haven't touched yet. They both have green parts (although they look almost black now). I believe the 16.5 is newer 5-10 years newer than those, but before they switched to red and black (as with yours). Your box is a later variant, with the more sophisticated guide stops and the more robust feet castings.

The saw is in fine shape. The plate will need to be scraped, but the teeth are in good shape. Although I am thinking about replacing the saw plate with a blade with 2-1/8 under the back or I could save a whole bunch of huffing and puffing and simply order a replacement from LN or Bad Axe. This saw has 1-7/8 and might just be able to take a full cut if I removed the depth gauges. Replacing the platform with a thicker piece would also solve that issue.
A couple of pics of a 16-1/2 next to a 15-1/2

The 16-1/2 is smaller in most dimensions, with a smaller main casting, different feet (as you point out), and smaller saw arm risers.

Your post suggests these differences are related to changes over time, but could they be model-related differences instead?
JoshS said:

Your post suggests these differences are related to changes over time, but could they be model-related differences instead?

Hey Josh, were playing forum tag now!
That's the mystery!
Are our 16-1/2 earlier variants color/proportion or were these a model difference that remained through the 20-30's.
The game is afoot!

--------------------
"Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

Mine is a deep hunter green color.

Mike
WOAH! Awesome! That is a monster mitre Mike!
Derek Cohen said:

I saw that one on eBay. I thought the price decent bearing in mind it came with a saw.

Here is my #15 1/2 pre-rebuild ..

I am unconcerned about originality in my rebuild (hence not "restoration"). The original is quite drab - I hate to say it, but yours looks the correct colours. I have made a few small changes - nothing that cannot be returned to original. I am finishing up building a saw, and then will post it all.

Regards from Perth

Derek

One of these sold for $1 at the auction I attended today ... just sayin' ....

Red
And I've seen them sell for $600 upwards. Depends on condition, who is interested, and where you buy it. Stories of $1 Stanley #1 are out there.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks!. I made a video about it. you can watch it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVKRmN-vaE