Chicago visit
Hi. We are going to Chicago this weekend last minute. Any woodworking suggestions?

Thanks.
Chicago houses a lot of very nice people who are woodworkers, but surprisingly, there is little to look at in terms of pure woodworking. Jeff Miller has a wonderful studio on the north side, but you would have to check to see if he is in town. There is no real woodworking school here, at least for hand tool users. If I was coming to Chicago for a short visit I would combine combine touring with woodworking and spend an afternoon in Oak Park looking at and touring Frank Lloyd-Wright homes, particularly his Home and Studio.
Eat at a good Greek restaurant, visit some museums, drop in on Navy Pier. Not a whole lot of great woodworking content, unless it's a CATS week at Slav's shop.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Chicago is a town for architecture, not woodworking. (Check out the architectural river tour.) Still, Jeff Miller builds beautiful furniture, and it's always inspiring to visit his shop. Frank Lloyd Wright also designed furniture and although it's probably not very comfortable, it's impressive how he strove to make every detail of his houses fit the larger scheme, including the furniture. You can see some of it, I believe, at the Robie House in Hyde Park.
Plus One on the architectural tours. There are many to choose from, but the best for the first time are those that use a large boat on the river. They will be comfortable and the docents are very well-informed. Chicago has the best cityscape in the world. Be sure you use the CAF (Chicago Architectural Foundation) tours.
Check out Slav's Hardware Store for vintage tools