Stackable
Over the weekend I just found out that they sell full size stackable washers and dryers. See what happens when you are not in the market! I was under the impression that those units were always undersized.

The washer is a front load, never had one of those. I've have heard that they can cause some problems but that most new models are fine???? Any thoughts?

Other than the controls on the dryer are up high (not a problem) , what might the other problems be. I am looking to downsize and something like this might be very useful. The wife would not be happy with a less than a full sized washer and dryer.
E
Thankyouthankyouverymuch.
We've had a pair of Kenmore Elites for going on 8 years now. Only had a leak problem with the front load washer, and that was my fault in that I didn't perform the very simple maintenance of wiping around the rubber seal with a wet towel. And yes, they are stackable.

Now, here's what I'd say to consider before you stack them----

---worst ergonomic aspect is lifting wet clothes from washer to dryer----if you don't mind this---great.

---wherever you're going to place them----make sure you can access the water shut-off valves and the plugs.

---If you are on a raised foundation or have a basement----I'd see to it that the floor joists are stiffened up. There's a lot of vibration from the washer when it comes up to full spin speed---its usually only momentary, but consider this as well as the fact that you will have more weight (from stacking) on one spot.
Dave
Dave, Good points
Thank you.
E
Thankyouthankyouverymuch.
daveferg said:

Now, here's what I'd say to consider before you stack them----

---worst ergonomic aspect is lifting wet clothes from washer to dryer----if you don't mind this---great.

---wherever you're going to place them----make sure you can access the water shut-off valves and the plugs.

---If you are on a raised foundation or have a basement----I'd see to it that the floor joists are stiffened up. There's a lot of vibration from the washer when it comes up to full spin speed---its usually only momentary, but consider this as well as the fact that you will have more weight (from stacking) on one spot.

Never understood the aspect about lifting the clothes from a front load to the dryer when they are stacked. I asked my wife and she says whats the big deal you still need to lift them out of a top load and move over the dryer and bend over to put them in so she sees it as less work on a front load stackable set.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
Alan---all I'll say is you should have attended one of my back injury prevention classes I taught. One of the key elements is designing tasks for the least amount of strain/effort on the back----believe me----there's a good reason for that as some will find out in later life.
Dave
The stackable have always been full size though the all in one stacked units have been around forever and they were always small.

We bought the samsung ones and they are stacked in our laundry room. So much nicer with them stacked however I can't wait till they design them so that the washer is on top where it belongs. That way you are moving heavy stuff down instead of up.
I will say that having them stacked is way easier on the body than the old style top loaders.

The early whirlpool units had allot of issues as did others but not an issue anymore. With all of them wipe down the door and robber seal after washing and don't snap the door shut. Leave it open with the wiped own rag so it can dry.

As for brands... Well appliances are made by just a few companies now. Get the cheapest one that does what you want and don't be surprised if any of them don't have issues and most all appliances now will have expensive part failures in less than 10 years. The electronics are built barely within spec like all these days and will fail.

Oh and any of them now make quick work of washing. The washers wring out most of the water so the dryer is usually faster than the washer except for blankets. The only thing I would do different would to be to buy bigher. We went with the 3.8 ish and it isn't big enough to wash queen blankets very well. Larger units were available but we had to buy a bunch at once when we bought this house. I paid under 1k for both units and just under 2K for washer dryer fridge and dishwasher. Sales price matching etc at sears local store.

Major problem with front loading washers was mold on the door seals. We had two different models that had mold problems.

The mold on the second model will not come off, but does not seem to be a problem other than the discoloration. We leave the door open just in case.

Have had stacked units before and have one now. No problems lifting from washer to dryer.

The real gotcha is door opening direction. The set we have now was set up to be a side by side(washer left/dryer right) by the door swing set up. Washer door opened right to left/dryer door left to right. Both doors need to open the same way for ease of use when stacked.

Turned out the washer door was not reversible and the dryer door reversal was a HUGE PITA!!!!!! And they are both backwards for the space.

Even with the down sides, we love the stacked units because of space saving.
The washer door opening the wrong way is an issue for us as well. Read allot of complaints to samsung about it too. We need it hinged on the right not the left.
We have had the LG for many years now with no problems and we do a lot of washing.
I agree with the washer on top- and invent a chute to just scoop the clothes into the dryer below.
They use little water, and our hot water line runs 25 feet from the water heater, so I reduced the hot water line size so hot water would reach the washer a little quicker.
They do a fine job cleaning clothes as long as the clothes aren't REAL dirty with grease or stained, upon which a top loading agitator machine works best, but pre-soaking helps.

I'm still waiting for a single machine that washes and dries all in one cycle.
Take yer pick.