Radial Arm Saw question
Used RAS are pretty thick around here. I have a use for one but need a minimum of 16" crosscut/dado capacity. Does anyone have a suggestion? I don't have room for a really big saw, a 12" saw would probably be maximum.

I've been doing a bit of research but that one spec is illusive.

Thanks, Bill
My recommendation would be to chat with the boys on OWWM or over at the Delphi forum. Someone at either place just might have what you're looking for and possibly be in your area.

Good luck,

Doug

Who has a Dewalt GA with 24" cross-cut capacity.
Stick with one of the older cast iron arm Dewalts or Deltas. The newer versions, say post 70's have too much "value engineering" in them, or in other words they made them cheaper. Avoid anything with sears or craftsman on it, period. Even the early 60s vintage cmans do not compare to the quality of the Dewallys and the Deltas (or their predecessor, the red stars). You will see the differences in how they engineer the stops for 90, and 45. The better saws its a machined notch on the column that does not slip. This makes for repeatability when you move the arm back to 90.

I've had all three saws starting with the early cman, then a dewalt MBF (bit underpowered) and current is a delta c30.

Don't have an answer, but I know Dewalt has some saws that are called "long arm", and I think that's they type of saw you'll need. (For the record, they seem to be extremely rare.) With a Dado, the crosscut will be slightly less than with a regular blade but you can move the fence back to gain some space. I have a Dewalt 1030K, a 10" saw with a 30" arm and it crosscuts about 13 1/2"; I think I could get another 2"- 2 1/2" or so by moving the fence back, but that would be when cutting 3/4" thick stock. Thicker stock would reduce that some. Maybe someone with a 12" model can chime in....I'm not sure you would gain much crosscut unless it's a long arm saw, though.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My 12" Delta turret-arm looks like it will just about cross-cut 15" with 3/4" stock with a 12" blade. To get more, I'd have to lower the blade onto the stock, with the fence further back.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Not sure about the smaller 12" saws but the 16" Dewalt Black and decker (branded with both names) will do 24" and there is a long arm version as well. Thats the saw I used to use and want in my shop. Only problem is the motor is massive. The one i used was three phase something like 14hp. Very heavy machine and will never kick because it's heavy and will easily cut everything in it's path.
Bill

I know very little about RAS's but thought the sizes from 8" up to 14" all have the same floor space.

Hope you get what you are looking for. I know TableSawTom is bringing me an older DeWalt 9" RAS and I am so excited to get it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
EvilTwin said:

Twin

Those are some nice saws. I was hopping for a 12" but with Tom's 9" I am very happy with it and think it will fit my needs better.

Did you referb them?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
My main use, if I get a saw, would be blind dadoes, so I think the distance from the fence to the arbor at full extension might be the best measurement for me to use. On second thought that probably is equal to the crosscut.

I saw the specs on a Dewalt 7790, they have a 16" crosscut capacity with a 12" blade. I'll keep an eye out for one but it may be a longshot.

Arlin, some of these saws are enormous and the longer the crosscut the deeper the table is.

There's someone in Southern Oregon that had an OMGA RN700 for sale with a 39" crosscut capacity, I don't think I can even get it into my shop.

Thanks for input everyone.
Arlin Eastman said:

[blockquote]EvilTwin said:

Twin

Those are some nice saws. I was hopping for a 12" but with Tom's 9" I am very happy with it and think it will fit my needs better.

Did you referb them?

Arlin

[/blockquote]

Arlin
Sure did. But its been a few years and the Delta saw is a bit dusty from use and doesn't look so pretty now.