Design considerations, Proportions?
I am making a console table for a customer.
Dimensions are 30" tall x 60" wide x 12" deep.
There is a lower shelf.
Legs taper in 2 directions from the shelf tapering to both ends on only the inside faces. Outside faces remain straight.

Initially I am thinking I should place the shelf 1/3 from the floor, but would like to hear some input on shelf placement.

I have the stock to cut 1 7/8" x 1 7/8" legs and initially, I think that thickness would work fine, but again, I would like to hear some input on leg thickness.

I happen to have a nice 12" wide board, but after milling, it will probably be more like 11 3/4" I am going to check with the customer to see if it can be 1/4" off.
This is where SketchuP is a huge help to me. Short of that I would make a scaled drawing, or even a full sized one of one end of the table.

John
John's right. Even a quickie SketchUp drawing like this will tell you a lot of what you want to know. The end view is a good suggestion, too.

After drawing it out, I am thinking 1-7/8" for the legs seems a bit heavy.

How do you plan to attach the shelf?
DaveR1 said:

How do you plan to attach the shelf?

Thats the next question. The tapers will make it a bit tricky. I could notch the shelf or the legs, or both. I am thinking that I should notch legs prior to cutting the tapers.

Another question is going to be apron width. A wide apron will look out of place, but the customer will be placing plants on the table during the winter months, so strength is a consideration.

Looks like I am going to have to dust off SketchUp and play around with it a bit. Can't open the links at work.
How about short stretchers between legs at the ends and long stretchers between the short ones with the shelf sitting on them? The stretchers would be easier to fit and add more strength.

I didn't add any stretchers but it was only a two minute sketch. I drew the aprons as 3-3/4 in. tall and put a shallow curve on the bottom edge of the long ones. I expect they'd be plenty strong but they don't look especially heavy.

Look at the links when you get home from work. I'll leave the images until you get to see them.
Thanks, I will look at them tonight.

I would like to keep a clean look for the shelf without stretchers if possible, but will look at your sugestion. I am thinking possibly notching both the leg and shelf and using a pocket screw underneath.

I will try and post the pic that the customer provided. I actuially like the design and plan on making a cherry version for myself.

I have a piece of scrap cherry (sap wood) big enough for a leg prototype. This will give me a chance to draw out the joinery and solve that problem before working on the actual project wood.
Dave, great looking design. The table I am making will have legs that taper in two direction, the widest section at the lower shelf and tapering both up to the apron and down to the floor. The tapers will only be on the 2 inside surfaces

I just downloaded sketchup, I never got around to installing it on the new computer. I am going through a tutorials to brush up.

This is the picture I am working off.

Thank you. SketchUp will come back to you.

Maybe something like this und this?
Well I was able to draw the leg, make 3 copies, rotate them correctly, but adding the aprons, shelf and table top was an exercise in frustration.

I am going to have to order your cd
Exactly, wow that's nice.