Looking for good casters for shop carts
I've had horrible luck with casters for my shop carts.

I have been using some casters I bought on sale a few years back with the hard black plastic wheels that are covered with a red softer plastic. They swivel and lock. Without fail almost all of them the red plastic breaks apart on.

I use them on a router table, sharpening stations, miter saw cart etc.

Any suggestions on the best ones to get?

These are similar to the ones that have been failing on me

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/141050/...ting-plate.aspx
yes, any of the swivel lock, or total lock (I don't remember) casters from great lakes caster. I have probably 2 dozen. I think they are 3". maybe 4"
i buy a dolly from hf for 7 to 15 dollars then take casters off.
they are solid hard poly, no problems.
cheaper than buying just casters
steve
That's an idea but some have to be locking
I think I got mine for my router table from Great Lakes, definitely from a recommendation here. That was almost 10 years and 3 moves ago, still smooth as silk.
Benny

I bought a bandsaw a few weeks back, and the PO had put the Great Lakes casters on it. Without a doubt among the best casters I've ever seen.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Which Great Lakes caster are y'all using. Link please?
Try Harbor Freight.

Seriously, their casters are good quality for the price.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Take a look here. I have the footmasters on my bandsaw, but they are the stud type to fit the saw. But they have all kinds. Just another comment on the HF casters. I have quite a few of them, and they have a great deal of weight riding on them (I built dollies for my tractor attachments and used the HF casters for them. At least one weighs about 750#, several others are 500#). They work well and are a good bang-for-the-buck, though none of mine are locking casters. You asked for the best, that's why I didn't mention them earlier.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have been happy with the 3" locking casters from woodcraft. I usually buy two of THESE and then two of the non-locking versions for each cart. I got tired of buying cheap casters and them clunking around, not rolling smoothly or not fully locking down. No problems whatsoever with these. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.