Pencil Box (Pic Heavy)
That is a great little box and I am sure she will be very proud to show all of her friends in school.
Nice
Thanks for the comments guys. I think I was more excited about her taking it to school than she was, I think she wanted to keep it at home, She did really like it though. I think I will have to start making some more of these , my son will probably want one too (probably wont give it to him right off though as he is 3 and I have nicknamed him the terminator, since he is rough on stuff).

I really like the maple/purpleheart contrast and purpleheart is pretty cheap, at the local Rare Woods place, but I've only been buying in 2.5"x2.5"x18" turning blanks. I'll see if he has it in board form, so I can make some deeper boxes. Might try the next one out of blackwood.

Bob
That top has some fantastic figure in it! And it's the perfect contrast to the heart. Nothing like making stuff for the kiddos...
Benny

That's got it all-a father's love, good work and a custom pen.
Well done.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Nice! I love the purpleheart with the spalted maple. They really compliment each other.

You daughter has an heirloom that she will cherish forever. I would bet over the years she'll keep her prized possessions in that box.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

Thanks for the compliments guys. The pen is her brothers I just grabbed some random things from the drawer for the pictures. She can't find hers, but it's out of the same acrylic only slimmer. She really likes putting her toys into boxes and bags, so I'm sure this will eventually hold those types of things. I was messing with it last night when she brought it back home and I really like that box. It just has a good feel and the way the magnets pull it shut, making a little clacking noise, it is just fun to fiddle with.

I started on a keepsake box for my wifes Grandmother tonight that will be bigger, but will be built the same way. I will be using some of the pine trim from her old house that had to be torn down a few years ago. I already gave her a pen/pencil set out of the trim and she loved them. I'm also thinking of making the same box as my daughters but reversing the two woods. I'm half thinking about giving it to her friend Marley.

Bob
Bob that is a sick piece of spalt there. The heart just "little girls" it to the fifth power. Nice work Dad
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW