Advice on milling
A week from Saturday, I've got a sawyer coming out with a woodmizer to mill a burr oak for me. I need to get/make some stickers and am looking for some advice. Would something like wood stakes from Menards be ok for this? Menards
Those should work, but I have always preferred to use wood from the milling as stickers.

When milling the log into a cant, just slice on board off the outside that is less desirable and stand up on its side and rip strips. Cross cut them with a cir saw to the desired length.

I seem to have less staining this way vs using pine with oak for instance. I dont know if there is anything to it, but its free, and has worked for me.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

packerguy® said:

Those should work, but I have always preferred to use wood from the milling as stickers.

When milling the log into a cant, just slice on board off the outside that is less desirable and stand up on its side and rip strips. Cross cut them with a cir saw to the desired length.

I seem to have less staining this way vs using pine with oak for instance. I dont know if there is anything to it, but its free, and has worked for me.

^^^^^^^^^^^
this
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Use dry hardwood for stickers, wet wood will cause sticker stain. Also make sure they are flat and consistent thickness if you want good results
This is what I use, too, and it has always worked well for me. I've always read to only use dry wood for stickers.

John
Why would anyone use wet wood for stickers anyway? If it warps it drys it would ruin your lumber let alone the sticker stain it promotes.
Those sticks should work OK, just rip each in 1/2 and you will be good to go. Exact species doesn't seem to matter. Just dry and straight.

Some species of wood you can get away with using green stickers sawn from the log you are cutting. Cypress / Cedars etc seem OK, they are fast drying and resist staining. Other species, not so good. If it's construction lumber, the staining doesn't matter. But if you have nice hardwood for furniture, take the time and do it right.