trim for a bathroom
I need to buy some wainscoting and trim for a bathroom. The supplier has maple, red oak and poplar available. Of the three, when painted, which would be best for a high humidity area, such as a bathroom?

Thanks in advance,

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Painted - I would go with poplar; just because it's cheaper than maple. I don't like painted oak.

Poplar and maple are very similar except maple is harder. They both accept paint well and machine well.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Maple, red oak rots quickly outside,maybe in a high humidity room too.
That being said,probably the majority of kitchen cabinets I have installed over many years were red oak. Pine should be fine but poplar really rots fast outside. I might take a chance with red oak,prefer maple of the three.
How about PVC trim? Comes in white, no need for paint but can be painted if you wish.I trimmed a vacation cottage for friends in PVC 10 years ago,both inside and outside. Looks as clean as the day I installed the trim.
mike
Mike and John: maple, red oak and poplar are definitely not my first choices, just these are the only species the supplier offers. All trim will be painted (all sides) and probably will use an exterior grade.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I put wainscoting in my bathroom. Had some leftover primed MDF trim that I ripped to size and used that for trim. Used a good grade bathroom paint, no issues so far. I'll see if I can find a pic.

here you go

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Tony Z said:

Mike and John: maple, red oak and poplar are definitely not my first choices, just these are the only species the supplier offers. All trim will be painted (all sides) and probably will use an exterior grade.

Probably don't need an exterior paint, but I would suggest a semi gloss finish. Flat and eggshell remain somewhat pourous, satin is often a flip of the coin depending on brand, but semi gloss, and gloss wear well in a bathroom setting. If you paint as described it will be well sealed, and wood species won't matter, best is cheap. As already stated Oak sux to paint, unless you first use a grain filler, unless your plan is to show the grain? Not my choice, but...........
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Just to add. Wood can be just fine in the bathroom. The big key is to put a good finish on it. Lots of old houses have wood wainscoting and have survived. I wouldn't worry about wood rot - just a good finish.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
+1
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
John Mihich said:

Just to add. Wood can be just fine in the bathroom. The big key is to put a good finish on it. Lots of old houses have wood wainscoting and have survived. I wouldn't worry about wood rot - just a good finish.

i was wondering if this was a bathroom or shower stall being done. gettjng waaaay critical here with all the talk of rot. if the humidity level in your bathroom gets so rotting trim is a concern theres waaaay bigger problems to address.
tomsteve said:

[blockquote]John Mihich said:

i was wondering if this was a bathroom or shower stall being done. gettjng waaaay critical here with all the talk of rot. if the humidity level in your bathroom gets so rotting trim is a concern theres waaaay bigger problems to address.
poplar and maple are both quite fine ina bathroom.

[/blockquote]