Mahogany...
Gilmer. Mahogany boards.

Someone buy them. Please. I've been exercising restraint. Tough exercise. I'm not sure I can manage many more reps.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
For me this baby keeps drawing me in.....till I see the $5500 price tag

but 4" thick, 46"wide and more than 11 feet long and weighing in at 175 BF and 1000 pounds.....now THAT is a table that will last.

Glad I make urns....I could never get caught up buying a slab like this

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I feel your pain, the wood dealer I used to buy from had a 8" thick, 2' wide, 15' long slab of really beautiful bubinga. I started calculating how much that would cost and just gave up. Yeah, I could have bought it, but then what?
To be fair, it does solve a lot of the problems with gluing up table tops if you can just use one board.

Of course the chances of a Kauri slab like that coming up for sale in my lifetime is about as good as the chance of me being able to afford said lump of wood if it did.
EricU said:

I feel your pain, the wood dealer I used to buy from had a 8" thick, 2' wide, 15' long slab of really beautiful bubinga. I started calculating how much that would cost and just gave up. Yeah, I could have bought it, but then what?

Several years ago I was at Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana. They are a pretty large dealer in all kinds of wood. The warehouse is the size of a Sam's Club. They had several flitches of bubinga slabs for sale. Each slab was about 15-20' long, 4-5' wide, and 4-6" thick. There was a sign in front of them that said, "See Manager for Price". I asked who buys those kinds of slabs, and they said most were destined for corporate conference room tables. The conference room tables at my employer are plastic.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I'm in the process or posting some killer mahogany slabs for sale. Some super wide and some with crazy figure. Mine are a lot cheaper than Gilmer though
ianab said:

To be fair, it does solve a lot of the problems with gluing up table tops if you can just use one board.

Of course the chances of a Kauri slab like that coming up for sale in my lifetime is about as good as the chance of me being able to afford said lump of wood if it did.

You mean to tell me you didn't rip that into 3inch wide pieces and flip every other board?? You know that top is going to warp all over the place because you didn't rip and flip.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK