Controlling condensation around water components in basement
Hi,

In my basement I have a cold water tank that fills from the well, plus two water softening tanks. In mid and late summer all sweat condensation profusely, to the point I need to use a sponge mop and a bucket to soak it all up. It stains the floor, I'm sure it isn't good for the concrete, and can become a mess if I don't look after it.

Short of air conditioning the basement Are there any products to contain the water to avoid this? Rubber mats for the floor to contain the water, or something the tanks can be wrapped in to soak it up? A catch basin under the tanks maybe?

Thought I'd throw it out as I am stumped.

Mike
Sounds like the humidity is pretty high in the basement which isn't a good thing. You also have a free dehumidifier by the sounds of it. I'd put a pan under the units and run the drain to the sump pump or a condensate pump. And then insulate all the pipes as well.

Also a dehumidifier need so be down there to control the moisture.
Keep moist air from touching anything cold. Either:
1. Remove moisture from the air with A/C or
dehumidifier (more energy efficient) Added benefit is inhibits mold.
But depending on the temp of water from your well you may have to dehumidify to an extreme temp. If we assume the well water is 55 degrees, you will have to dehumidify such that the dew point is lower than 55 degrees. The coils probably get to about 45-50 degrees F. So the air comes at 100% RH at say 50 degrees. Not much room to play with.
or
2. Raise the temp of the water in the tanks such that it is higher than the dew point of the moist air in your basement.

or
3. Insulate the tank and all plumbing (Probably most logical solution).

or
4. Build some sort of a controlling "pit". Maybe some coil stock with a couple inch lip and a drain bib with attached hose leading to a floor drain or a sump or a window using a condensate pump.
Tongue-in-cheek, but not really.... Our school maintenance staff controlled a medium size roof leak during a storm with a sheet of visqueen with a few pennies thrown in the middle to create a low spot, then taped a funnel and garden hose to direct the water to a 32 gallon plastic trash can.