Precision ground O1 plane blades
Hello all

I am looking for some 3/16 thick custom O1 blades but I would like them precision ground to thickness after heat treating.

I've got an email into Hock to see if the can do this but I wanted to ask here if you knew of anyone that could do this.

4-6 blades 3/16 x 1 7/8 x 7 3/4

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
Where ya been, Fr. Peter. Good to have you back!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Last year was overwhelmingly busy for me. Woodnet and woodworking just didn't happen.

Hopefully this year will be different.

Good to be back
Peter

My "day job"
Have you seen the Lee Valley blades for wooden planes? Almost an exact match, but maybe too short.

Lee Valley Wooden Plane Blades

They also have tapered blades, and Hocks.

-- John
Just curious: why do you need the blades to be precision ground?

And welcome back!
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
meikj said:

Have you seen the Lee Valley blades for wooden planes? Almost an exact match, but maybe too short.

Lee Valley Wooden Plane Blades

They also have tapered blades, and Hocks.

-- John

Thanks

Too short.
Peter

My "day job"
Wilbur Pan said:

Just curious: why do you need the blades to be precision ground?

And welcome back!

They are easier to bed and fit into an infill that I'm making
Peter

My "day job"
I did find a source

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
Glad to see you found a source, but I think you are out of sequence in your specifications. I am not a metals engineer, but I did make plane blades and cutters successfully as a business for over ten years. I started with precision ground stock, performed shaping and rough edge grinding BEFORE heat treating. O-1 steel requires oil baths for heat treating. Warping can occur during this process. Sharp edges can fracture. Working the metal after heat treating, which includes hardening and tempering, can cause issues. I limited my processes to light edge finish grinding and sharpening. The grinding was done with frequent quenches to keep the temperature of the metal cool.

Unless you have complete control of the process, someone can inadvertently ruin your temper during surface grinding. I hope they really understand your requirements and counsel you accordingly. Good luck.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Thanks Jim

The guy that I'm getting them from is as good as it gets.

You are right. It's not a simple thing.
Peter

My "day job"