Hide-a-way gun box
I'm building one of these for a friend. The actual box is obviously very easy. But I am having trouble getting the hinges to work properly. What are the ones in the picture? Any suggestions on any other hinge I should/could use?
Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
Those look like European Hinges. Their are many manufactures, styles and offsets. Lowes and Home Depot sell some inexpensive ones.
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
Is you friend right or left handed? If right perhaps on the other side would be a little easier?
Bill
Exactly what problem are you having?

Not opening properly, not closing so that the hidden panel does not show? Drooping under the weight of the gnu?

Hard to say exactly, but it looks like it should be a full inset application. This requires the right hinges and placing the mounting plates properly. Normally, this would include space for bumpers, but this application probably does not use them, so the mounting plate may need to be moved backwards to account for this.

I would use good quality hinges (Blum or Hafele) and build a mock up from cheap ply in order to verify the locations of the mounting plate and the cup hole before building the final product.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I am using a set of hinges similar to these that I got at HD. I have never used this type of hinge since I don't build much, if any, furniture that requires door. So when I bought them, I was confused about the terms full overlap, half overlap, etc. So, I'm not even sure that I got what I really need. As far as what problem that I am having is basically just getting them mounted correctly. And my friend is right handed.
Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
I think you want full overlay hinges. That means the door is flat on top the box. now from there you need to decide how much over lay you want if your box is 3/4" on the face and you want to completely cover it you want 3/4 overlay. if you have 3/4" face and want 1/4" reveal you need 1/2" overlay, you get where this is going?
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
That looks like an inset door, and the (Euro) hinge appears to be mounted backwards from the normal orientation...that is, the hinge plate is one the door and the cup is on the cabinet. May not matter, but there must be a reason they did that.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I agree and that is odd
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I want the frame of the box to close on the wall, and the board where the gun is mounted, to be inside of the frame.
jsears said:

I want the frame of the box to close on the wall, and the board where the gun is mounted, to be inside of the frame.

Inset door then. I agree with the suggestion to mock it up from cheap material to get it all figured out.

Good luck, I like the idea.

Frank
Frank