Uses for a finger joint bit?
I bought a bunch of tools yesterday at a yard sale. One of them was a finger joint router bit.

This one:
http://bis-amanatool.com/53610-amana-car...-flute-set.html

I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or sell it. Other than for painted mouldings, what are other uses for it?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer

Joining 2 shorter boards to make a long one. The original board stretcher. Next time at the BORG look at unfinished exterior Man doors for a garage or something. Side lengths are frequently finger jointed on the lower priced doors 100 bux + or -.

For regular woodworking I personally can't give you a good use for one though. More a carpentry, construction use.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
What you show is less a finger joint bit, and more a box joint bit.

You CAN do finger joints with it, but as shown above, a finger joint bit is tapered to make the butt joining easier.

The bit you have is great for making small boxes like pencil boxes, and cases for blade sets, etc.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Pirate,

You should have taken the time to read the info in the link you provided.

"Cut strong, attractive box joints for small boxes, shallow drawers and trays with this bit."
See ya later,
Bill
Bill_de said:

Pirate,

You should have taken the time to read the info in the link you provided.

"Cut strong, attractive box joints for small boxes, shallow drawers and trays with this bit."

Note that this is NOT possible with a finger-joint bit, because of the taper design. You have named a plum with a URL to a pomegranate.

Plum http://bis-amanatool.com/55392-amana-car...h-upper-bb.html
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Pirate said:

This one:
http://bis-amanatool.com/53610-amana-car...-flute-set.html

If it is that one, then as described you can use it for small delicate woodwork like boxes, drawer dividers. I think in reality if you wanted to stage that up, to do the side of something taller than the bit cuts it may be more frustrating to do, than any other method of box joints would though. However on the shorter stuff once you were set up, you could literally do miles of stock, and gang cutting would be easily doable. So if lengths could be worked out you could do a bunch, quick.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
One good use for a finger joint.....

If you had a lot of small scrap you could make longer pieces that were then edge glued (while staggering the seems) to make larger panels for something like a work bench. It would be strong and stable.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
Yeah, I should have read the ad. I just searched by the Amanna #.
I didn't realize they made box joint router bits. Always did them with a straight bit and jig.
I'm keeping it.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
If it looks like this you can do box joinery

If it looks like this you can end join stock

You cannot do box joints

Hth
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

JGrout said:

If it looks like this you can do box joinery

If it looks like this you can end join stock

You cannot do box joints

It's the Amanna 53610 bit.

Hth