Bad Day Gets Worse
Been having a frequent problem with toilet clogging up. Was using a toilet auger----trying to thread it though the toilet, leaned against the wall behind the toilet, and my hand went right through the drywall. :big eek: Looked at the surrounding area and noticed bubbles in the surface nearby. Started pulling off surrounding drywall---was clearly wet, but not soaked, but loaded with mold on the back. Behind the drywall were the cold inlet and hot outlet from the water heater on the opposite side of the wall (in the garage). Clearly the leak wasn't old because other than the mold and soft drywall, there was little signs of moisture.

Only thing I can figure is, a couple of weeks ago, I heard this heavy thump----nothing apparent at the time until I made my next trip to the bathroom and found one of the two pictures hung above the toilet had fallen down. Might have had the water heater relief valve open and close, which "may" have loosened a pipe joint---either that or a very localized earthquake.

Anyway, just waiting out the holiday weekend to call our plumber. Isn't life grand?!!!
Dave
So I have to ask a plumber to do what?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

daveferg said:

Anyway, just waiting out the holiday weekend to call our plumber. Isn't life grand?!!!

Ahhhh, yes! The joys of homeownership.....they just never end.
(still beats renting in my book)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm guessing a pin hole leak in one of the pipes. The good news is it is an easy fix.

Twinn
Will post for food.
Even for those that don't solder shark bites have made working on pipes less of a mystery
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob10 said:

Well---I was already planning on getting him out for the toilet clogging problem---have a screwy closet ell and hope they can fix that----and honestly, simply don't have the energy since I had my medical problems----have more money than energy. And I know my limits----can do drywall and taping, but matching the wall texturing is not my strong suit.
Dave
daveferg said:

[blockquote]Bob10 said:

Well---I was already planning on getting him out for the toilet clogging problem---have a screwy closet ell and hope they can fix that----and honestly, simply don't have the energy since I had my medical problems----have more money than energy. And I know my limits----can do drywall and taping, but matching the wall texturing is not my strong suit.

[/blockquote]

Same here with the wall texture which is why like with the kitchen remodel and when I move walls for the master br and bathroom I don't texture the walls. I leave them smooth. If a smooth wall gets damaged I can match smooth flat however I can't match ugly texture and I have seen few drywall guys do it well.

In fact I finished skim coating the ceiling of the kitchen yesterday and sanded it this morning. Filled a few spots and about to hand sand the areas that need it. Bought one of these a while back for the main sanding and it works great. Way easier than sanding a whole ceiling by hand especially since I'm not the best drywaller...

http://ykhaomai.en.made-in-china.com/pro...DWS2300E-.html#
Robert----I well remember houses without texturing. What really annoys me is one of the reasons they texture is to cover up crumby taping/patch jobs!!! The only other option would be to redo the wall in breadboard---while breadboard is common for bathrooms, generally I only see it half way up the wall. So far this will be a floor to ceiling section 32" wide. Oh well.
Dave
fredhargis said:

[blockquote]daveferg said:

Ahhhh, yes! The joys of homeownership.....they just never end.
(still beats renting in my book)

[/blockquote]

My friend's condo got water damage from the unit above. Their insurance covered the repairs to her unit and they finished up less than a month ago. Last night she comes home to find water leaking out of her water heater. It was also causing a short in the heater, AND the shutoff valve to the heater seemed to be busted, too. It was $100 cheaper to wait until tomorrow rather than having it fixed on Labor Day, so she's waiting.
When low water quantity flush toilets first came out many had a tendency to plug the lines. Had problems with my last two houses which were solved by putting in quality toilets-the latest house had ToTo toilets put in to solve the problem, before that Gerber toilets fixed it. My latest place has an instant on Bosch propane hot water-no big bulky water heater to leak. Consider a gas furnace to get rid of some plumbing issues if the oil furnace is inefficient. Plumbing problems suck-a good plumber is worth his weight in gold.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)