Entry door - impact resistant glass?
Going to make an entry door for basement walkout. Considering various options, but customer [wife] insists that light must come through the door and to an extent, I agree, but I also don't want to compromise security too much. We do have camera and alarm systems so the door isn't THAT much a concern - I suppose if the camera above the door doesn't deter someone then a door isn't going to stop them either.

That being said, I'm wondering if anyone has used impact-resistant glass for such an application, or if it can even be custom ordered? I'm aware of all the usual security options ranging from film on the inside of the glass to some kind of wire impregnated glass to wrought iron on the outside - just seeing if I can find an aesthetic solution.
Chemically tempered glass would do the trick if you can find a company who makes custom sizes. It's the stuff you see used in glass stair ways and similar applications. And there's always Lexan

John
Hmm, so is the low-E double pane tempered glass you can easily get custom less strong compared to the chemically tempered stuff you're referring to?

I've never considered the TYPE of tempering...it's either tempered or not to me, lol.
A glass shop should carry the wire mesh embedded inside the glass itself. It's some pretty strong stuff. They use it in jails, so that should tell you something.
live4ever said:

Hmm, so is the low-E double pane tempered glass you can easily get custom less strong compared to the chemically tempered stuff you're referring to?

I've never considered the TYPE of tempering...it's either tempered or not to me, lol.

That's like saying oak and pine are just wood. True enough, but there is a world of difference; same with glass tempered different ways. Chemically tempered glass is MUCH stronger and tougher than thermally tempered. I just don't know if anyone makes one-off custom pieces for Joe consumer and, if they do, if it would be cost effective for you.

John
Tempered glass, I think it may be code but it's just smart.
Jim

THANK OUR MILITARY THAT WE ARE FREE

If I accepted, that'd mean I didn't have any integrity..
AND then I'd meet your expectations as a politician..
Fred Kingston...052708
MSRiverdog said:

Tempered glass, I think it may be code but it's just smart.

This. It's code everywhere. Better check.
the most cost effective with the most security would be laminated ( automotive) glass

I have used it several times in doors where a more secure product is called for...

It is not foolproof but it will take a beating and not fail without a good fight.. And the glaziers can fabricate it into a insulated double pane or triple pane unit

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

There was a video here about a year ago of someone trying to break through glass (bullet-proof ?) with no success - used sledge hammers , drills, and even a forklift IIRC. Can't recall specifics but maybe someone else will.

If you have the $$$$ your local glass shop has the time, product, and possibly installation if needed.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW