Delta contractors saw - backlash in blade angle adjustment
I have a 1996 era (36-444 I think) Delta contractors saw.

I noticed the blade angle was moving a degree or two when I cut 1.5" thick material. The locknut on the tilt adjustment was loose, but tightening it didn't fix problem.

Checked manual and it said to "remove backlash" by loosening locknut and adjusting worm gear.

I don't understand what I should do? Am I trying to get the threads on the worm gear centered in the threads of the tilt gear?
I don't remember clearly, but following the manual works: I think it's eccentric so turning it forces the gears to mesh more deeply.
Ahhh, I think that may be it. Reading what you wrote made me remember seeing it moving eccentrically, but it didn't dawn on me at the time that would help. Thanks!
Here's a pic of the blade tilt eccentric (the part on the right side of the black casting). The directions have you loosen the lock nut, which is on the left side of the casting, and then turn the eccentric using the nut on the right side of the casting.

It seems to me that the nut on the right side of the casting, the one you turn to move the eccentric, should be an integral part of the eccentric. But as you can see in the picture below, when I push on the motor, the eccentric moves independent of that nut. I think this part is broken.

Can someone confirm that? The exploded parts view that came with the saw does not make it clear if the nut should be integral with the eccentric.

I figured out that there are two parts involved here.

The eccentric, which is a small "shaft" that passes through the casting and contains the nut on the right of the casting and threads on the left of the casting, onto which the locknut is screwed. The locknut is used to keep the eccentric from moving.

The other part is a long shaft that contains the "worm gear" shown on the right in the first picture. This shaft passes through the eccentric. You can turn the eccentric, which moves this long shaft up and down, which removes slop (backlash?).

My new question is...should the lock ring, shown to the left of the lock nut in the first picture, be tight against the threads of the eccentric? I think this would keep the long shaft from moving, which would eliminate play in the tilt of the blade.
Hi. I just made the same adjustment on my saw, mine was too tight. Your pic shows you are in the correct location to adjust the backlash. The 13/16" (?) nut in front needs to be loosened a bit then the cam eccentric 'nut' can be turned in small increments until the lash is out of the adjustment. What you are doing is moving the worm gear closer to and farther away from the semi-circular gear. The easiest way to get to this is from underneath. I loosened the pointer and moved it out of the way to get to the cam nut. I hope this helped.
Thanks for replying!

On your saw, is the lock ring (shown on the left of the black casting and not the eccentric lock nut) tight against the threads of the eccentric?