toddler toilet trouble
My wife teaches kindergarten. Her classroom toilet seat is very hard to lift up and put down. Her students cannot do it on their own, so she is constantly having to raise it for the boys and lower it for the girls. This is not a soft close / soft open seat--we have these at home and they're nowhere near this bad.

I'm thinking these were designed this way to prevent the smacking of little fingers or the clonking of heads. At the same time, this is turning into a huge problem and time suck for her. Is there any way to reduce the resistance so a 5 year old can raise and lower the seat on her own?
We have soft close seats which work as they should and my 4 and 5 year old don't need my help. Can't you just replace the seat with a new one or are these smaller in size for smaller people?
mlincoln said:

I'm thinking these were designed this way to prevent the smacking of little fingers or the clonking of heads .

I'm now picturing a kindergarten classroom full of blackout drinkers.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Check with the maintenance department. They should have an idea about what to do.

Might be the finger/etc. smashing problem, but soft close should do the same thing---if local/state requirements allow.
If the maintenance dept. is busy go take a look at it for her. The hinge is bound up. Those seats can hold themselves at a 45 degree angle, but a normal kindergarteners shouldn't have an issue.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Phil Thien said:

[blockquote]mlincoln said:

I'm thinking these were designed this way to prevent the smacking of little fingers or the clonking of heads .

[/blockquote]

Unfortunately that wasn't the image in my mind.

My son developed a habit of resting himself on the rim of the toilet while potty training. He didn't believe us when we repeatedly told him this wasn't a good idea.
He did come to that conclusion on his own when he lost positive control of a non soft close toilet seat and had some bruising to show for it.
That is a one time life lesson I would think.
JDuke said:

[blockquote]Phil Thien said:

[blockquote]mlincoln said:

[/blockquote]

Unfortunately that wasn't the image in my mind.

My son developed a habit of resting himself on the rim of the toilet while potty training. He didn't believe us when we repeatedly told him this wasn't a good idea.
He did come to that conclusion on his own when he lost positive control of a non soft close toilet seat and had some bruising to show for it.

[/blockquote]

I'd take puking my guts out over that any day of the week.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
mlincoln said:

Is there any way to reduce the resistance so a 5 year old can raise and lower the seat on her own?

Better solution - remove the seat and teach the girls to do it standing up.