New Shop Door, I need a fresh viewpoint:

Here's my shop door, from my heated shop to my normally unheated garage. I have survived for years by hanging 10 mil clear plastic (air-lock style) in the opening, but I think that I really need to make something permanent. The opening is 48" wide X 81" tall. I have thought about café-style doors, but sealing around the edges to prevent the loss of heat might prove to be problematic. I also have considered a sliding barndoor, but then I would lose hanging storage area on one side. This is the main entrance to my shop so I need to keep it unobstructed as much as possible and is also a high traffic area: as in; Get the coffee/get rid of the coffee. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated!!!!
Two doors. One 36" and the other 12". The 12" hinged to open when needed but effectively just a side panel to fill the space. I could describe it in more detail if needed but I think you get the idea.
Put the sliding door on the garage side. How about a pocket door? Rollup steel door?
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
If it were mine, I would reframe the opening and install a standard prehung door.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
3-0 door and a 12" sidelight.
mike
how bout a 48" steel door?http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/pole-barn-post-frame-materials/service-doors-windows/48-w-x-80-h-white-post-frame-steel-reversible-swing-blank-door/p-2026674.htm

or a double 24" french door. im thinkin framing something up with some old closet doors for that wouldnt be too difgicult.
although it would require reframing, pocket doors come in 48", too.

or simply frame it down for a 36"
A firewall may be required by local building codes between a garage and living area... a steel door or steel over a wood door. Building inspectors can help with that requirement.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
tomsteve said:

how bout a 48" steel door?http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/pole-barn-post-frame-materials/service-doors-windows/48-w-x-80-h-white-post-frame-steel-reversible-swing-blank-door/p-2026674.htm

I would not recommend a 48" steel door. There is a tremendous amount of weight hanging off the hinge side of the frame. Over time it will sag. I know because we have a 42" one at work......

I like the 12" and 36" door idea. That keeps your opening bigger to move stuff in and out but also reduces the heat loss when coming and going. I wonder if you could get a prehung unit of some sort with those dimensions? That would solve the insulation issues. Although you might have to investigate raising the opening?
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
+1 on the 12" and 36" solution. Personally, if security is not a big issue, I'd make my own hollow core doors with a simple mortised frame of 4/4 pine with two additional horizontal mortised braces and put some rigid foam panels inside the voids for insulation and 1/4" plywood for the outside. Install those sliding door latches at the top and bottom to hold the 12" door secure so you could put a doorknob assembly on the 36" door. Light, simple and effective
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If you like having it open, what about one of those freezer curtain rigs with the strips of thick clear plastic.