6 ft extension cord for mini refrigerator
I just bought a Summit built in min refrigerator for my bar. The nearest outlet is about 3 ft farther than the cord will reach. Am I asking for trouble if I use a 3 prong 12 gauge 6 ft extension cord with the fridge?
No.
Herb G said:

No.

i'm with herb on this one.

we've had our kegerator on a 6' extension cord for years with no issues.
12 gauge seems very heavy for that.

But extension cords are made for that purpose.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
Those fridges pull very little current. Any of the typical kitchen appliances pull more than a little fridge.
Easiest product to get are those short extension cords used for window air conditioners.
Dave
daveferg said:

Easiest product to get are those short extension cords used for window air conditioners.

That's what I use for my diminutive garage refrigerator/freezer. Not because I needed the heavy gauge, but because it was short. And easy to get (since I already had it, and it's not good for much else). No - really.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The AC cord is a great idea, did not even think about that. I agree 12 gauge would probably be overkill so 14/3 should be OK for my use. I just wanted to make sure I wont cause a fire or something in my house.

Thanks everyone
Don't forget----electrical load/adequacy is not only about gauge, but about the length of the extension cord.
Dave
daveferg said:

That was my thought. But make sure you examine the plug ends. Some are wired for 220 volts and have that crosswise plug end.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/20Astplg.jpg

If you are not paying attention (like I was not paying attention) you will get home and discover that the plug does not fit.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.