Harbor Freight for life?
Recently I purchased a “Solar Power water fountain pump” from Harbor Freight for $ 18.00. The reason I purchased from them because I could not find this device at any other retail stores.

This device quite working after 30 days, so packed in original packing and took it back to HF for a refund. with my original receipt. The Clark processes my request and I was told that it will be $ 3.60 restocking fee . I explained that the reason I am returning is that it quite working, well I was told that it is corporate policy. They will not waive the restocking fee.

The other choice I was given is to exchange for another unit, well I accepted the other choice and exchanged. The return on this item is good for another 90 days, I am not sure how long it will last.

Is this is a new technique of growing business by HF? Sell bad items and if they break, pay 20% penalty

I stop buying from HF years ago; I made exception this time, now I am kicking myself. This pump sits in birdbath and every time I see this it will remind me of HF, their return policy and my stupidity.
You should email HF customer service to find out for sure. I think the clerk was mistaken since they don't restock damaged merchandise.

Or do they?
See ya later,
Bill
Sounds like a manager scam. Seen this at other retail stores where the manager posts a policy for the store to increase store profits.
I think all the stores are franchises...that may limit what the owner's can do....or not. I think your quarrel is with that store owner (if they are all franchises).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

I think all the stores are franchises...that may limit what the owner's can do....or not. I think your quarrel is with that store owner (if they are all franchises).

They aren't franchises. They are like harborfreight of whatever state they are in. So the parent company is free from federal regulations and from charging sales tax in a state they have a store in. So your can order something from the website pay no sales tax even thouh there is a store down the street.
I forgot this was the internet. From the Harbor Freight website;

Things to Know:
1.Proof of purchase is required for all returns and exchanges;
2.Merchandise may be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund or exchange in the original tender. Check and debit card purchases may be refunded in cash;
3.A valid government issued ID must be presented at the time of return;
4.Shipping and handling charges are nonrefundable.
5.For safety reasons, items cannot contain oil or gas in them at the time of return or exchange;
6.Select items will be subject to a 20% re-stocking fee. See an associate for details;
7.The manager has the right to refuse returns of any item, at any time, for any reason;
For your convenience, you do not have to exchange or return the item to the store from which it was originally purchased.
See ya later,
Bill
Robert Adams said:

They aren't franchises. They are like harborfreight of whatever state they are in. So the parent company is free from federal regulations and from charging sales tax in a state they have a store in. So your can order something from the website pay no sales tax even thouh there is a store down the street.

You are correct, but that looks like something that just happened recently (2014, apparently). I'm a little behind the times.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The purpose of this posting was to beware of the restocking fees so other woodneters will be careful if they decide to purchase from HF.

I will raise the issue with their customer service but I don’t expect any miracles.

This is just a lousy service; they don’t even do anything with bad products. I have better luck with flea market sellers.

When I went to the store, they were busy, store was full of customers. Well this show there are lot of suckers for low price- poor quality, worst customer service.
Robert Adams said:

...So the parent company is free from federal regulations and from charging sales tax in a state they have a store in. So your can order something from the website pay no sales tax even thouh there is a store down the street.

That's not the way it works. I've ordered from them and payed sales tax.

e deploribus unum

FBranco said:

[blockquote]Robert Adams said:

...So the parent company is free from federal regulations and from charging sales tax in a state they have a store in. So your can order something from the website pay no sales tax even thouh there is a store down the street.

That's not the way it works. I've ordered from them and payed sales tax.

[/blockquote]

Some states require Internet sellers to collect sales tax for purchases in their state. IMO it's not right but more states are doing that instead of encouraging retail business in their state.