Question on using prefinished plywood
I can get prefinished plywood (birch) from a nearby supplier. It can either be finished on one side or two. For the cabinet ends that are exposed and will be painted, can I put the paint over the prefinished plywood. It seems a little scuff sanding would help, and I'd be starting with an already smooth surface.

Planning to use BM Advanced to paint the cab's when done.

Thoughts?
The more you know, the less you need
I've done that and it worked, but a lot of folks having trouble with the top coat(s) sticking to the factory finish. That's usually some kind of UV cured conversion varnish, and very hard. I had scuff sanded it, and primed with shellac based BIN, and the paint seemed to hold up well...but I may have just been lucky. You might try it and see if you can scratch your finish off....be sure to scuff and prime first. Too bad, painting that prefinished really gives you a smooth surface for the paint.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I built some cabinets with 1 side prefinished because the day I went to the supplier it was cheaper than the unfinished. I put the good side in and am painting the outside and edgebanding. Masking nightmare.

You can paint over prefinished after scuffing it, I'd use a real good primer too.
If your painting over it why waste the money on prefinished 2 sides ? As mentioned you need to sand it if you plan on painting over it . I would hit it with 120 to get as much of that finish off . Factory prefinished ply is very durable and paint wont stay stuck to it long .
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
I would go with unfinished. I would put down sanding sealer first. That way you can sand for a smooth finish and the paint won't suck in as much. I have never gotten away with one coat of paint anyway. Edge band also.

Tom
I will have to take a look at the sheet stock with one side finished to see what the unfinished side looks like. In the case where the end is exposed, I'll have to paint the unfinished side. I plan at least one coat of sandable primer and two coats of finish.

I'm doing face frame cabinets, so edge banding shouldn't be necessary on the boxes themselves, the shelves will have to be edge banded of course.
The more you know, the less you need