More tools from the tool chest.
I took a few more pics of some of the tools in the tool chest I bought Tuesday. It's like Christmas going through this box!

First up is an ebony coffin smoother.

Here's an Alexander's patent jointer gage made or sold by A.Balch of Chelsea, MA.

Stanley No.98 and 99 side rabbet planes. Type 1 I believe. I honestly didn't know they were there until tonight.

L.Brooks 28" mahogany level. I've got a feeling this will be a rarity. It has a patent date of Aug. 29, 1851. I've come up with zero info on it so far.

Steve-

Any idea what the purpose is for the gauge on the end of the level - just another method of indication level?

Phil
Phil S. said:

Any idea what the purpose is for the gauge on the end of the level - just another method of indication level?

That IS the level indicator. It is connected via a long lever to a mechanism that holds the bubble. Here is the image from Patent US11,596 issued to Lebbius Brooks. According to DATAMP, this level was manufactured by Stanley.

Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
enjuneer said:

[blockquote]Phil S. said:

That IS the level indicator. It is connected via a long lever to a mechanism that holds the bubble. Here is the image from Patent US11,596 issued to Lebbius Brooks. According to DATAMP, this level was manufactured by Stanley.

[/blockquote]

Thanks for that info Bob!
I looked it up in Walter's Stanley book.

I guess I wasn't wrong about the rarity.

I didn't see it in the box until the next day.
Its a good thing you are showing us this stuff a few tools at a time. I'm not sure I could handle seeing it all at once!!! Strong wing blowing out of the arctic today (gusting to 50 in Anchorage), must be all that suckage down in Maine!

Nice haul, those side rabbets are crispy.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge
I'll have to spread it out a bit, I wouldn't want anybody to have a heart attack.

The more I delve into this, the more I realize what an amazing find this was. Apparently, only a few examples exist of that Brooks level.
Methinks that has made the shift from tool chest to treasure chest.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

did you ever post pics of the tool chest?
That's magnificent!

Too bad that smoother has such a short iron. But you might be able to get a replacement.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I've already taken care of the iron on the ebony smoother, it's got a nice Buck Bros iron now.

I took a few pics of the box and some group shots of tools.