New driveway
The builder at our new house is going to extend the driveway to the garage. It will just be gravel, nothing fancy. At some point after we figure out what we need we will add some more parking and probably make a loop. When i do this Do I need to do any more prep other than grading and landscape fabric under the gravel? Maybe a plate compactor or do I not need to worry about it?
That is going to depend a lot on local soil and drainage. You might be better served scouting some of the older properties in the area and see what has and hasn't worked.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

You're going to need a plate compactor no matter which route you go. You can't dump gravel & hope for the best.
I put in my own gravel driveway 3 years ago. 50 tons of 3/4" blue chips. It was like driving in wet sand until I compacted it.

I rented one from Sunbelt Rentals for ~$150 a week.
Put in your path for a loop before you have stone delivered.
And buy twice the amount of fabric that you think you'll need, and buy the best/heaviest you can afford. Most stuff sold at the BORGs is junk & won't last a year.
DAMHIKT.
Herb is right, concerning the fabric and the compactor. You may as well use Kleenex as Borg fabric. I am lucky, have a buddy with two plate tampers.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Your best base is undisturbed sub-soil (no organic material). Otherwise a plate compactor will save you some gravel.

I agree about getting the best fabric possible---the kind they use in highway construction would be ideal. However, don't overlook areas where mud might flow into your gravel. Then you'd have a real mess on your hands.
Dave
Herb G said:

... and buy the best/heaviest you can afford. Most stuff sold at the BORGs is junk & won't last a year.
DAMHIKT.

And if the purpose is to stop grass and weeds and such, not only is the BORG fabric pretty well temporary, the 6mil plastic sheet is only marginally better.
First off you don't want landscape fabric you want the geo textile fabric like 2beast uses. Get it at a hardscape supply yard.

When you go to extend your drive, wait for a dry spell. You can't do anything with mud.

Strip off all the topsoil and compact the area. When the dump truck of stone arrives have him run back and forth over the area before he unloads to look for soft spots. They need to come out too. Once you have a good solid base, roll out the fabric, spread and compact the stone. A plate tamper is OK but I would prefer a small vibratory roller.

Twinn
Will post for food.
daveferg said:

Your best base is undisturbed sub-soil (no organic material).

Not if the subsoil has a high clay content. A clayey subsoil requires removal to a selected depth, a thicker gravel structural section and good drainage. Here's some information about gravel driveways for the OP.

http://www.thegravelexpert.com/Gravel_Information.html
Ding ding ding ding. The blue clay that we have hear will swallow tampers and compactors. It's plastic and hydroscopic. Terrible stuff to put anything on.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Lynden said:

[blockquote]daveferg said:

Your best base is undisturbed sub-soil (no organic material).

Not if the subsoil has a high clay content. A clayey subsoil requires removal to a selected depth, a thicker gravel structural section and good drainage. Here's some information about gravel driveways for the OP.

http://www.thegravelexpert.com/Gravel_Information.html

[/blockquote]

I've got clay. That's good to know. Thanks.