Atlas Benchtop Drill Press
I've been needing a drill press for a few tasks recently and trying to find something on Craigslist. I came across this:

Vintage Atlas Drill Press

I recognize that the suggestion is usually to get a floor press but I haven't had too much luck finding something appealing. I'm tempted to just go with the Porter Cable unit at Lowes but assuming that I can do better with an older unit. Anything specifically that I should be looking for? I'd like to be able to use large-ish forstner bits in hardwoods, but I'm not making anything in volume so speed isn't necessarily a high priority.
I would buy the Atlas! The thing looks practically brand new in the pictures. Quit posting and go buy!
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Get the atlas. That quick change depth stop is sweet.
No experience with Atlas but I have found the old stuff to be far superior to new value engineered tools. I hated a new Delta I bought and danced the day it left and two old Craftsman replaced it.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Jonny Rocket said:

Get the atlas. That quick change depth stop is sweet.

Based on the depth stop, it looks like it has a better than average spindle travel, too.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Very nice drill press, looks like a beauty. You certainly won't find anything better on a store shelf for the money. Even includes a mortising setup and holddowns, sweet. Good luck.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
RUN don't walk. Get it.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
You can find a floor model base and column in the future to convert. It has a 2 3/4" column, all 14" and 15" drill presses use the same. That is a super clean drill press, if it runs as good as it looks you got a real good deal.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
Thanks all, I'm going to check it out this morning. It's a model 1020 with a 1/2" Jacobs chuck.

Edit: it's now sitting proudly on my workbench. Came with the catalog and original manuals for the drill press and mortising attachment. I forgot to grab the chuck key so I haven't been able to use it for anything yet but it runs fairly smoothly. Probably needs lubrication and a new belt wouldn't hurt. Appears to be a bit more runout than I'd like so I'll have to address that but overall very happy. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm glad you got it as I believe these wonderful old machines are getting harder to find.

Due to your post, I recognized this one left after the Butte Mountain fire destroyed a home (photo by Paul Kitagaki Jr. for the Sacramento Bee):

~Dan.