Lumber Buying FYI
Remember to check the #1 common lumber piles.

For oak, cherry, maple and walnut thats all I buy.

Today, I found these little gems. In the 450' that came home with me, a strong 50' were like these. Couple 14" wide ones too....they are rough so its hard to get a good picture....but they are screaming with curl (not as nice as pvwoodcrafts stash.....but heck....its from a common stack )

Oh, and I paid $2.10/ft

Shame is I don't use much curly cherry.....guess it will go on the rack for a special project.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I usually buy #1 when it comes to cherry but few sell it here. Most only carry cherry in fas and it's usually pretty boring looking though he #1 usually has a nice look and I like the small pin knots from time to time.

Local price on #1 cherry is 2.25 bf which is pretty good here. FAS is $4
The grading rules don't mention figure as either a good or bad thing. The boards got graded down for a few knots, which aren't a big deal.

For a hobby wood worker you have the time to lay the wood out, check and match the grain, cut your pieces around the defects etc. If 20% of the wood ends up on the scrap pile, you are still way ahead on the deal.

And finding some nice curly grain pieces in the mix is just a bonus.

Because I saw my own wood, I get to use "log run", which is the good, the bad and ugly. Few boards are so bad and ugly that you can't use them for something.
Great deal on some beautiful cherry. I do remember to look at the #1 piles but have never seen such gems in my suppliers lower grade piles. Nice haul.
I just want to agree with and highlight what ianab said. Many of us think FAS is prettier or better quality in some way. Lumber is a wholesale business and FAS grade means at least 5/6ths clear wood in a board 6" and wider and 8' and longer (and so forth). Nothing about appearance.

FAS grade might even work against appearance because attractive figure often occurs around "defects" that would lower the grade of a board.

Doug
Lumber grading is much more complicated than that but that is a good simple way to look at it.

I also agree with he fas not having as pretty grain because it has less defects in it

I like a few knots etc here and there. If I wanted clear grain I'd buy furniture made with sticker wood.
Good prices!
Last cherry I bought down here was $6.50 bf for 4/4 skip planed to 13/16.
Nice,

I have to start looking for a nice wide cherry board for a consol table that I will be starting in a few weeks.

There used to be a lumber wholesale operations about 30 minutes away in the middle of nowhere in Boston Kentucky. I could get a bundle of #1 com cherry for just about $1 bft. The reason it was rated as #1 com was due to being less then 8' long, at least that is what they said. Plus they had a free cull pile that you could pick from. Sure wish it was still inoperations.
Steve you got took on that lumber deal. Just send that rubbish to me, and I'll burn it for ya

I'm confused about what we can say anymore, but I think you have pursed lips sucking in air real hard.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Lil

Just received 100 BF of #1 common cherry and 100 BF of red oak.
Both are rough cut, so the grain patterns are not really clear yet, but they look really nice so far.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.