Laser level recommendation
I've done a search here with no luck. I'm looking to buy a laser level for home owner use of shelfs, flooring, and possibly some landscaping projects. I'm hoping the market now offers something reliable, accurate and of course affordable. Any recommendations? A friend has recommended the Bosch GLL2-50. It's $170 from CPO outlets.

when I was at HD over the weekend they had a bunch of Bosch laser stuff on clearance. Didn't really pay attention to exactly what it was.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I have the Bosch cross line level, I think GLL-40. I like it.
If you take the outdoor stuff out of the equation or are willing to work only at night, most any of the smaller units will do a good job. The little DeWalt self levelling is a great unit at the price they were asking a few years back. The little Stanleys are ok. Bosch are great units. I have 3 or 4 Bosch as well as the DeWally. Buy something with 100' range, the line brightness is worth it. A good tripod is almost a must, its a lot more convenient than the wall brackets or piling blocks on a countertop or table. If you think you will be working at longer distances or in bright light, some of the Bosch have a pulse mode that makes them compatible with the laser receivers.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

If it isn't self leveling don't buy it. I have a harborfreight one loml bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I checked it with a water level and it's less than 1/64 out over 25' or so of wall which is not bad considering the line is a little wide.

There are a couple of the skil branded ones that get good reviews. They are rebranded units and I can't remember who made them originally though.
Might me more that you want to spend but, I've been very happy with my Bosch GL 380. Outdoors up to 165 feet but you have to use a receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG_jLwhOcKE
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
There are several types of "laser levels" available. For me the rotary offers the best use for doing carpentry in a home. That said With a store sale price, and 11% off all purchases I bought this one for less than advertised, and couldn't be happier. Comes with a tripod, has speed control for the laser speed, and I have found it to be very accurate using the pods leveling feet and small levels to get it dead on. For Giggles we checked it against my neighbors $1400.00 Spectra Physics unit he uses for his Bobcat work, and they overdrew lines on each other. He bought one after that for interior work

For landscaping the interior ones will be too faded to see, and for distance you need to spend $$$$$$$$ I would think unless you are going for LONGGGGG distances a garden hose and a water level will be your best bet.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
It's hard to justify the cost of a laser for home use because you can do most of the same things with a stick and a string. So I can't recommend Pacific Laser Systems stuff although it is interesting to check out. I have a Bosch 5 point that I use for work because it is a good tool for the price. The cross line model would be nice and the combo unit is cool but pricey.

Outdoor you need some red glasses and a light target. For what you think you'll need it for I'd look at Bosch's cross line model.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I don't recall the model number but the Bosch crossline has the ability to lock the pendulum so that the self levelling is switched off. You can project the cross lines off plumb but still square to each other. Kind of handy at times. I have the 5 point as well. They complement each other.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

The problem with the xy laser levels is they aren't that accurate; a quarter inch at 30 ft is not good enough for interior work. I think you need a rotary one to get high accuracy. I used a water level on my deck project and kitchen cabinet install this summer and it was easy to use, very accurate, and very cheap.

John