Stopping a Kickback
There has been an ongoing controversy here about whether the operator can actually stop a kickback, rather than just prevent it. Well, I just did it, and I have a sore but intact hand as proof.

I was cutting a strip, which in retrospect was too thin. I was using a push SHOE, not a STICK, which is probably I still have my hand and body intact. Loud noise, shoe handle slammed into the heel of my hand, but the assembly didn't move more than an inch or so.

And I'm just a girl.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I've stopped boards that felt like they were going to kickback, but it was right at the start. if you don't have good grip on things (and possibly even if you do) it happens so fast there's no stopping it. The one time I got nailed by a kickback was when I was doing something I knew I shouldn't be, was in a hurry and wasn't paying complete attention to what I was doing.

I'd buy a kickback-stop tablesaw (if it existed) in a heartbeat because kickbacks worry me way more than having a run-in with the blade.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Push sticks are not allowed in my shop or job site.

Push shoes or push blocks are mandatory.

On the job site, push blocks are often made from 2" by 6" scraps(12" long or so, with the back rounded for safety(and comfort).

In the shop---3/4" plywood is the optimum material.
I have had the push stick hit the blade and get slammed into my hand. That hurts for a few days.

The scary ones that I had were wide pannels catching the rear of the blade and getting swung around like a frisbe straight into my gut. Not using a splitter was the cause. In one case it was a small square table top that I was cross cutting with the fence. It stated in slow motion as the pannel began to ride up on the blade, but there was no way anyone was stopping it once it started. 1/4" ply is way too fast and hurt just as bad.
I bought a bench dog mini push stick at a rockler store, as an impulse buy and after using it for about 0.02sec I determined it was about the most unsafe thing I've ever bought.

Bob
MsNomer said:

And I'm just a girl.

Yeah. Right.

Did you come away with any plans to change how you would have done that thin cut? You identify insights which are all dead on.

"Just a girl"

That made me laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yeah. Start with a bigger piece of wood.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
MsNomer said:

Yeah. Start with a bigger piece of wood.

10/4
MsNomer said:

There has been an ongoing controversy here about whether the operator can actually stop a kickback, rather than just prevent it. Well, I just did it, and I have a sore but intact hand as proof.

I was cutting a strip, which in retrospect was too thin. I was using a push SHOE, not a STICK, which is probably I still have my hand and body intact. Loud noise, shoe handle slammed into the heel of my hand, but the assembly didn't move more than an inch or so.

And I'm just a girl.

Sure you can, just did it with my hand a week and a half ago. Healing nicely I must say. 1/4 inch plywood, didn't get a pic when it happened cause it was really scary looking. Put the skin flap over, stopped the bleeding, called myself a whole lot of dirty words and went back to work. First thing I did was put the guard back on.
Jim

THANK OUR MILITARY THAT WE ARE FREE

If I accepted, that'd mean I didn't have any integrity..
AND then I'd meet your expectations as a politician..
Fred Kingston...052708