Planer
Hello all,

I was given a small 12" lunchbox planer a while ago and it has been incredibly useful.

I am constantly using it and I can't remember what it was like to be without it.

However, I'm thinking about the possibiliy of an upgrade in the future.

So what is your dream planer? And why?

I think it goes without saying that it would have a helical head with carbide inserts.

Just curious.

I'm not sure if I can actually save up for the dream planer as it will probably be incredible hard to move every few years.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
Peter - In the portable tool range the Dewalt 735 is probably most people's best choice, and has helical heads.
If you have a permanent location, room and the money a full sized 15", Grizzly or Powermatic 15 with carbide helical heads.
My guess is you need to keep the option of being portable, if so, probably the Dewalt. I have the Grizzly 15 full size, my son is looking at the Dewalt 735 (he needs to be portable).
Ray
My dream planer, a 20", wasn't what I bought because I knew we would be moving and I didn't want to fight the 800# or so. I bought a 15", which is still work to move...but manageable. We did move and it made the (short) trip safely. I have to admit though, if I was moving a lot that 735 would sure look good.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have the Dewalt with a Byrd head and it is a dream. A little loud, but nothing ear plugs do not cure. It is not hard at all to move.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I have been living with a 13" Ridgid planer and it works just fine. I would love to upgrade to a 15" and will someday, but for now, the Ridgid gets the job done. Heck, I may upgrade to a helical head and just keep it as it does not take up a lot of space.
Like you, I had been using a lunchbox planer - a Delta 22-580. Good planer. I'd put many feet of lumber through it. While I liked the planer very much there were some things I didn't like - it was loud (I'm told almost all planers this size are), it was slow, and the rollers didn't always pull the wood through without a little manual help. So, when Jet Tools had a 10% off sale earlier this year (I think they've got the same thing going on right now), I spent way more money than I should have and bought an 8-inch jointer and 15-inch planer - both with the helical heads.

Wow! No more hearing protection, all sorts of power, 15-inch width capacity and a smooth finish which takes very little sanding. Yeah, I'm a happy camper.

If money was no object, I might have bought the Powermatic (also made a sold by Jet Tools). It's a little more refined that the Jet with some additional features which come at a higher cost.

Good question. You're gonna get a lot of opinions.
Hey Peter,

I went from a 12" Dewalt (very nice) to a Powermatic 15HH. That's the one with the Byrd. While nothing is keener than sharp knives, I use a lot of figured woods, and the helical cutters solve the tear-out issue. Mostly. I occasionally wish I had the 20," but that's a rarity. My only complaint is pronounced snipe on both ends, which I have not yet been able to dial out. More tinkering, maybe.

Sooooo much quieter than the lunch box!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
fredhargis said:

My dream planer, a 20", wasn't what I bought because I knew we would be moving and I didn't want to fight the 800# or so. I bought a 15", which is still work to move...but manageable. We did move and it made the (short) trip safely. I have to admit though, if I was moving a lot that 735 would sure look good.

I agree. I was wondering if something like this

http://www.amazon.com/708531-JWP-16OS-16...B0000C6DYK

Wouldn't be easy enough to break down and move.

I break down my band saw and drill press.
Peter

My "day job"
Peter

This is what the VA bought for me

http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-3-HP-...ead/G0453Z and it is a Wonderful machine and works like a dream

I like it but me personally I would rather have something smaller and a bigger Jointer like a 12"

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Interesting

I don't have a jointer and I get by ok and don't really feel the need.
It would be great but I have a jointing sled for the planer and I can do everything with that and my hand planes.
Peter

My "day job"