An overhead light for workbench
About a month ago there was a thread about choosing an overhead light for a workbench. I tried to search for the thread but came up empty. I'm looking to add a bright light above my workbench. I would prefer tube lighting and something easy to hook up. Please let me know what has worked for you. Thanks.
I installed one of these LED shop lights above my workbench a couple of months ago after reading the HD reviews. It's brightness (Bright White, 4000K) is mid-range, which I prefer over the brighter Daylight lights (5000K and above).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-El.../205331022

Is this the thread you were looking for?

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...rt=all&vc=1
Costco is selling a LED shoplight (4ft tube) for around $36, the brand is Feit. 3700 lumens @ 4100K. It's similar to the unit sold at HD that is linked above.

Anyways, I have several of those Feits and have been very happy with them. My Costco still had them as of last week.
I installed three 500 watt halogen lights on a 4ft bar above my workbench. I have the lights on a dimmer so I can control the intensity, but boy, I can blast the light when I need it.
Bill
Twin tube 4' T8 fluorescents. Done.
I just installed the Feit LED tube style lights in my garage. Got them at Costco. These blow florescent bulbs out of the water. They are at full brightness immediately, no hum, use less energy, and the light is better. I will never again install florescent bulbs.
Herebrooks said:

I installed three 500 watt halogen lights on a 4ft bar above my workbench. I have the lights on a dimmer so I can control the intensity, but boy, I can blast the light when I need it.
Bill

Not to mention heating your shop on cold winter days
One Ozark American
Texan said:

I just installed the Feit LED tube style lights in my garage. Got them at Costco. These blow florescent bulbs out of the water. They are at full brightness immediately, no hum, use less energy, and the light is better. I will never again install florescent bulbs.

Yup. Half the wattage and better overall. My 8' t8 fixtures take a bit to warm up at temps below 90* and they have electronic ballasts. Will replace with leds as needed. It isn't cost effective for me to replace them unless the ballast goes bad.

Plus the 4100k light is much better for workspaces than the typical yellow bulbs that are readily available. Funny how t 12 is supposed to be gone but it makes up 95% of the stock at depot and lowes still...Only two choices of t8 there... Course even t8 are quickly on the way out.
Are the LEDs affected by temperature like the fluorescents?

that is true! It also is helpful for quick curing finishes.