New entertainment center completed
Hi,

After six months of work the new entertainment center made it into the house. This is replacing a three-cabinet entertainment center I built 15 years ago. The old one was not only enormous and dark, it also could not fit a TV larger than 32", puny by todays standards.

Wood is ash ply for the cabinet, with solid ash for the top, base, drawer boxes and drawer fronts. The dark top and base are a combination of Transtint and a gel glaze. You can read about the drama I went through coloring the wood here. This project reminded me why I stopped coloring wood a decade ago.

Everything is top coated with Arm-R-Seal applied with a foam brush. First time using it and it was a pleasure to use.

A larger TV is obviously due, and the top left shelf opening is slated to fit a new A/V receiver.

I adapted plans from Woodsmith. Rather than building a door with a shelf behind on the left and right sides like the plans suggested I opted for three drawers on each side. They are sized to fit DVD's, plus there is finally a place for my son to put his Xbox controllers, headsets, etc. other than the floor. Far more useful than a shelf. Drawer pulls are from Lee Valley.

The previous entertainment center stood about 5" from the wall due to the cords and power strip that were behind it. It looked messy and was a dust collector. This time I made space for the power strip to fit inside the bottom of the cabinet. The large center drawer is notched to fit around the power strip. The shelves are slotted in the back so cables are routed inside the cabinet to different components.

Lastly, rather than have the top be flush with the back of the cabinet I extended it about 3/4" so it would reach the wall and avoid a large gap between the cabinet and the wall. I put three notches, one center and one left and right, in the back of the top for cables to fit through.

Despite being my own worst critic I am happy with the final product, although after wrestling with this for six months I am ready to make some pencil boxes

Thanks for looking....Mike
it may be just me, but the photo's are not showing up
I can see em....looks great!
It looks really nice, love that color you got on the top.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
BpB123 said:

not working for me either.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Very smart design
"We have a clear winner here...stevensondrive. Congratulations!"
Richard D.
BpB123 said:

I think it should be fixed, apart from one image that insists on being a hyperlink rather than a photo.

I had these set as private on Photobucket by mistake.

Hope it works this time.

Mike
Just saw the first thread. I added to John's advice

Scoony said:

I seal the dye with clear shellac then use a gel stain. The shellac allows you to wipe most of it off while leaving the stain down in the pores.

---------------------

Works well for me too. Plus both the shellac, and gel stain are wiped on in my case. No sprayer required.

On the finished piece itself, that is outstanding use of Ash, the light dark contrast couldn't be better. The piece is a winner. Like that slot in the top for cords to drop idea too. plus hiding a pile of game stuff is always good. Winner winner chikun dinner
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Looks great! The planning you put into it is obvious, very well thought out. I haven't seen many of these in ash. Any reason you chose it specifically? Local maybe?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I had the same problem - built an entertainment center and had to buy a bigger tv...

Nice work!

"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."