Best mid-range oscillating multi-tool??
meackerman said:

according the Lowes website the PC is up to $80 now.

It's been $50 for a few weeks now and goes on sale for that price pretty often. Probably the end of the labor day sale.
I have the Dremel, and can't recommend it. It's weak and gets hot fast. Next time I will just get the Fein.
Been a member a few years, just never posted...

Picked up one of the old Fein detail sanders for about $25 from CL about 3 years ago. Was there for something else, no interest in the Fein--but the guy plugged it in, handed it to me and i turned it on, put it in the car. Earlier this year one on the online retailers had the Start with a blade kit on sale--so i picked it up. Don't use it every week, but when i do there is no comparison to the Craftsman i used to try to use. And for me at least, when i do use an oscillating multi-tool, there is not really another tool that could be as efficient at getting that task done.

Like someone else said--my opinion, your mileage may vary.

earl
I don't know what price is mid range but Ridgid sells a multitool kit for $99 with the LSA. I know that some folks have had an issue with the LSA but I have not. One big advantage to this tool is that it has removable heads. The tool as it comes has a cutting head. There are also drill and impact driver heads, again convered by LSA. It is also available as a 12V system. I have found them to work very well. That said, I also have an old HF I have had for over 5 years. I bought the Ridgid because I didn't think the HF would last. It is still working. Go figure. However, this is not a tool I use daily.
JME
YMMV
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
My dad has a dremal. He says it doesn't hold a candle to my Fein. I love my Fein. The quick change doesn't seem like that big a deal until you need to scrape adhesive off the blade several times while doing a job like scraping carpet off a concrete floor or changing the blade direction for cutting while on a ladder. If you buy right, you'll likely only buy one of these.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
- Aristotle
Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
- Thomas Neill

It's all said and done now, waiting to hear. Till then I still dont know Jack Poop.
I had the single speed HF model until I got the Bosch quick change one on clearance from Lowes for $90. The Bosch is much nicer and quieter then the HF. I wouldn't buy one again without a quick change blade. Both are worth every penny I paid for them.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I've got the DeWalt cordless, been very pleased with it.

Ed
EdL said:

I've got the DeWalt cordless, been very pleased with it.

Ed

I bought the DeWalt corded, I like it just fine but I wish I had bought an 18V Bosch because I have a lot of their batteries.
Guess that I'll be looking at the Bosch or P-C at the Borgs this weekend. No H-F in Sioux Falls or I'd probably go that route. Thanks for all your input!!
The Bosch cordless. Get extra batteries
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes