PSA - noise in Grizzly G0453 15" planer
Just solved a problem that had me worried. Thought it might be helpful to others. Grizzly 15" helical head planer, started slowly getting noisy, but still working fine, noise slowly got worse, thought I might have a bearing going bad, then suddenly got louder, rattling scraping noise. Took the top cover off, all tight, ran briefly with it open and noise wasn't there. Took the drive belt guard off and VOILA, the retaining bolt for the top pulley had come out, the pulley key had almost come out and was scraping the belt cover. Put the bolt/washer back, torqued with 3/8drive small impact wrench and now runs perfectly with wonderful smooth sound. Probably had been loose for few months. Planer is about 3 years old and works wonderfully. Might want to check yours, certainly if it is getting noisy. Ray
I have that problem but its the bottom pulley.

....and it sheared the key, pulley turned slightly.....and magled the key in the slot....so you cant get the pulley off. Used a puller...its on there.

So I need to bust the pulley off, and replace.

Its been 2 years and I keep hearing, its coming on a boat. I am starting to get to the point where they need to go take one off a shop floor machine..... I guess I could get any replacement pulley....I mean its not rocket science. But it works so I wont upset that house of cards.

The noise is annoying.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

packerguy® said:

....and it sheared the key, pulley turned slightly.....and magled the key in the slot....so you cant get the pulley off. Used a puller...its on there.

Its been 2 years and I keep hearing, its coming on a boat. I am starting to get to the point where they need to go take one off a shop floor machine..... I guess I could get any replacement pulley....I mean its not rocket science. But it works so I wont upset that house of cards.

The noise is annoying.

I have many - many Grizzly machines in my shop.

There is no way I would wait 2 YEARS for a part!
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
6270_Productions said:

[blockquote]packerguy® said:

The noise is annoying.

[/blockquote]

Right?

Funny, I called yesterday....and miraculously they have 2....and I took them BOTH.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks for the 411. Glad you got it figured out.
Probably a smart move on any new piece of equipment is to go head to toe, and make sure all of the screws, bolts, hex nutz, and what all are as tight as they can be. Mass production, long distance shipping, and probably a host of other possibilities, could have things just a wee bit loose the day you get them. Running them will always loosen it more. Also part of annual, or biannual maintenance depending on use. As you go through and clean and lube to recheck them all. If done religiously you likely will get longer life, and trouble free use.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Ive started doing that as part of my PM's on my machines. I have Monthly, semi yearly and yearly lists. Since I use my machines constantly, its saved me headaches a few times, and I like to think it lengthens the use of the tool by keeping it working optimally.

Never thought about going through a new tool. This day and age and tools sitting on a rocking boat for weeks, its completely possible bolts wiggle lose. I have seen it just normal from operation. Good point

Not long ago bought a brand new 8" griz jointer with shellix head, put it together as much as needed, and of course I needed to fire it up You know the 5 year old in me started getting antsy

Nothing happened, but later I found 5 fairly loose bolts that if I hadn't checked would have probably created a problem pretty quick. A small area looked like it needed a screw, wasn't huge (1/8"), but nobody was home. You pay a guy 33 cents a day and you may or may not get optimal work every minute

By the same token bought a new 19/38 Super Max and everything was nice and tight. Same with an 18" Rikon BS. I'll keep checking though, found my first loose screws/bolts way back when, on a new PM 66 in 1968. Even Merican made had a few Monday and Friday machines
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
rayknight said:

Just solved a problem that had me worried. Thought it might be helpful to others. Grizzly 15" helical head planer, started slowly getting noisy, but still working fine, noise slowly got worse, thought I might have a bearing going bad, then suddenly got louder, rattling scraping noise. Took the top cover off, all tight, ran briefly with it open and noise wasn't there. Took the drive belt guard off and VOILA, the retaining bolt for the top pulley had come out, the pulley key had almost come out and was scraping the belt cover. Put the bolt/washer back, torqued with 3/8drive small impact wrench and now runs perfectly with wonderful smooth sound. Probably had been loose for few months. Planer is about 3 years old and works wonderfully. Might want to check yours, certainly if it is getting noisy. Ray

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check mine. You may also want to check the tension on the raise/lower sprockets on the bottom of the table mine was loose.

Mike
packerguy® said:

[blockquote]6270_Productions said:

[blockquote]packerguy® said:

The noise is annoying.

[/blockquote]

Right?

Funny, I called yesterday....and miraculously they have 2....and I took them BOTH.

[/blockquote]

Someday they will have my estate auction.

Most likely the number one question asked by EVERYONE will be: "Why did he have so many parts???!!!"

Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.