wood
Anyone know where to buy cherry 4/4 at a good price, in the Dayton Ohio area. I'll be there next month and would like to get about 200bf. It's got to be cheaper then buying it in Florida.
Well, good prices mean different things to different folks. Anyway, Frank Miller lumber in Union City IN (a little WNW of Dayton, maybe 35 miles or so)) has it in S&B for $5.05 $3.37), #1 common for $3.45 ($2.30). The paranthetical price is if you are set up as a business there....which amounts to telling them you're a business and the set up up in their system. The first price is the off the rack price to anyone walking in. If you have a friend or someone that's already a business, you 're ready to go.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Jim, I just bought 100 BF of 5/4 #1 common cherry from Advantage Trim and Lumber in Tampa. $4.00/BF I have not yet milled any of it but it looks really nice to my pretty experienced eye.

I also bought 100 BF of 4/4 red oak and 12bf of 8/4 red oak. Shipping for all of it from Tampa to Fort Myers was $217 I could have driven up with my trailer and gotten it, but with gas and the half day (at least) it would have taken, $217 was reasonable enough.

Talk to Jason, he was very helpful and did a great job picking my stock for me. I was able to tell him my preferences based on my project and he met them well. (941) 388-9299 x 256 tell him I sent you.

I would not really want to trailer lumber across country, too many hassles.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
A sad day when Bonely quit staging wood runs for you Southern fellas.

Tagging onto what Fred said FML realistically supplies all of the hardwood sellers like WoodCraft, Rockler, and many smaller concerns, so if you buy at dealer price, roughly 25% off, you will make a good deal, same as what all of them buy for, less their markup. Might not fit into your plan time wise, but if you are a member of WOW you would get that pricing for being a member. Not sure if you would just need to pay, and get some kind of verbal confirmation for that to work, or actually need card in hand?

Dennis would be the membership guy. You might want to check with him.

Dennis Kugler - Membership Chairman Ph.: (937) 884-0051; Email: dkuglers AT yahoo DOT com

Can't beat the deal though, they will say ok to the patronage, and for 30 bux you will easily save that on 200 bd/ft. Plus being a gambling Man Ima gonna bet you once inside the "showroom" you are going to lay claim to more than a few sticks of Cherry

They have reallly nice wood

Only other bet for an independent not buying from FML is going to be John Carson He is located on the West side of the 275 loop around Cincinnati, just a wee bit off the road, maybe 20 25 minutes. Fred can remember better than me, so maybe I need correcting. John will have available almost any sizes, and widths of Cherry, Oak, Walnut and Maple as they are all local, plus a good amount of Sycamore, and many other midwest woods, and sometimes he has some really special stuff on hand. He can quote you what he has, and pricing on the phone.

Ok now gotta ask, what the heck you gonna do in Dayton?

Now all that said, you might want to ask the Kentucky, Tennessee guys if they have anyone right along 75. Plenty of wood all through here. A lot of the mills there are honey holes. A friend who lives East of Berea says 50 cents a bd/ft is the going rate on most everything, but it will always be rough, and green. Obviously processing costs $$$$$.

Plus while you can, you might want to change your title to WOOD between Florida, and SW Ohio. You could get some interesting options
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
we just moved from cedar key (due west of ocala), and i used to get my cherry from sammy pruit in chiefland. he has cherry, cypress and eastern cedar. the cherry would go for 3.50/bd foot. he would let me sort thru all his cherry and pick what i want. he will honestly tell you how long it's been since he cut it. the wood is rough, but being air dried, it is beautiful.
i used to live in cedar key (due west of ocala), and i always got my cherry from sammy pruit in chiefland (about 30 miles from cedar key). he has thousands of board feet of cherry. he would let me sort thru all of it and pick what i wanted. he will also tell you how long it has been stickered (he air dries everything). when i was getting cherry from him it was 3.50/board foot.