Sheared Depth Stop adjuster (BIG pics)
While using my small plow plane last night the depth stop adjuster sheared off. I called this morning and they are going to get back with me about special ordering a replacement part and I assume that will be possible but do not know at this time. That still leaves me the issue of removing the remaining piece.

The photos show the piece left in the plane body. The hole does NOT go all the way thru the plane body. The piece left is about 3/8" or a bit less and is flush with the plane body.

Assuming I can get a replacement part, how do I get that piece out of the hole?

Victor

"The cure for anything is saltwater....sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Grab a sharp scratch awl and use the tip to contact the broken screw out by the threads. Try to back out the screw. If the threads are not deformed, it should come out. If that doesn't work, do the same thing with a sharp center punch and a small hammer to tap it counterclockwise.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Do you have an easy out? You need to be careful using one or you make a bigger problem than you started with. DAMHIKT
OUCH!
Sorry to see that. There is a possibility that the screw bottomed out in the hole and that contributed to your problem. If so, the threaded piece might be stuck really tight. Since it is soft brass, I would drill it out with my milling machine and then pick out the threads with a sharp awl.

You might want to use a screw extractor. HF has inexpensive kits available. It might work on soft brass but they work better on steel.

In your case, I would ask them if I could send it back for repair. They have tooling and people who are very handy with things like this. Also, the engineers might be curious about what caused the incident.

Keep us posted.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
JimReed@Tallahassee said:

In your case, I would ask them if I could send it back for repair. They have tooling and people who are very handy with things like this. Also, the engineers might be curious about what caused the incident.

Keep us posted.

Yep. email these photos to them and the body of your post.
Ag
enjuneer said:

Grab a sharp scratch awl and use the tip to contact the broken screw out by the threads. Try to back out the screw. If the threads are not deformed, it should come out. If that doesn't work, do the same thing with a sharp center punch and a small hammer to tap it counterclockwise.

Did not work. Not even close. I really thought it would but no luck.
Victor

If it would be an old stanley, I'd glue a nut or something to the thread with loctite or solder sth. on the thread. But it is a veritas so I'd contact them. They will hapily help you.

BTW, where's Rob?

Cheers
Pedder
You need to drill the centre of the stub, then use an EasyOut to extract the screw. The EasyOut will bite into the stub and turn it counter-clockwise.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek Cohen said:

You need to drill the centre of the stub, then use an EasyOut to extract the screw. The EasyOut will bite into the stub and turn it counter-clockwise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm not real keen on the idea of buying a one time use tool but if you think it will work I will do so. If I have to get one then I want to get a good one. Any recommendations on a quality set?
Victor

Where to buy one? Many places (just Google for stores close to you), but ironically, Lee Valley probably stock them!

They are pretty cheap.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com