Tool tote stock thickness?
I'm building a tool tote for my daughter/son-in-law for Christmas that will hold basic tools for doing odds and ends around the house...hanging pictures, minor repairs (they're not going to be homeowners in the near future, so we're not talking about anything resembling remodeling), stuff like that. im planning about 22" long, 8" wide, 6" high sides with some removable trays on top. Similar to this one.

I'm thinking 1/2" poplar should be plenty thick for the sides and bottom. The bottom will be dovetailed to the ends, and 1/4" rabbets on the bottom will be glued into grooves on the sides.

My question is about the ends...would 1/2" poplar be sturdy enough to support the tote and its contents from a 1" dowel handle, or would 3/4" thick be necessary?

Thanks!

David
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I have made some totes and I think 1/2" poplar is fine. I made one from yellow pine that was milled to 3/4" and it ended up to heavy to tote around empty.
I made the end pieces 5/8 and it was fine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I made a batch of totes out of 1/2" soft maple as presents. Unfortunately, I inherited one back, and I've put it to heavy use. I don't really like the feel of the handle being that thin, but it works fine.
You can always glue two thin pieces on the sides of 1/2 handle and profile them to fit the hand comfortably.

As for the thickness - 1/2 is plenty. And bottom can be properly nailed - Chris Schwartz is even nailing the bottom of his tool chest, and it supposed to hold much more weight...

Thanks,

BG
Overall it sounds like 1/2" should be fine. I'll post some pics as the project develops.

Thanks!
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I've made more than a few totes from 1/2" poplar from the local borg, using a 1" dowel as a handle. Worked very well.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com