Food safe epoxy?
I am making some beer steins for Christmas. I need to leak proof the wood. I there a wood safe epoxy you can recommend?
US Army retired.

"Even if one person gains from your knowledge, you have shaped a path for the future"
I could be wrong, but I think if dried fully none of them would pose a health risk.

That said this site says theirs are food safe, and FDA approved.

It will be interesting seeing other answers.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The consensous among alot of woodworkers( Curtis Buchanan being one) is epoxy is food safe when it is fully cured.
>>>> I think if dried fully none of them would pose a health risk.

You are correct.
Howie.........
You could finish with shellac (which is food safe once dried) and seal with a food safe silicone sealer (Graingers sells this sealer).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I like West System. Their resin is used in commercial water tanks. Give it a week to completely gas off first. That's what I did for the one I made.

There is a FDA certification for epoxy, and I think only a hand full have endured the process. If I was selling it, I'd want to have that assurance for my customers.
Peter Brown

I can fix that...

shop-time.net
Bob Flexner has state ad nauseam that all finishes are food safe once fully cured

with that in mind, to be on the safe side, I would make and finish these steins a good month in advance of gifting
Thanks for all the reply. I Purchased a product called "Envirotech" 2 part epoxy. I will be using this week and then giving them as Christmas gifts
US Army retired.

"Even if one person gains from your knowledge, you have shaped a path for the future"