Stupid question
If I am building a book case with a face frame and adjustable shelves and my inside width is 32 inch's, and my plywood shelves will be 3/4" thick with 3/4" X 1-1/2" edging for strength front and back. How wide should they be? In my head I see a problem installing the shelves after the face frame and rear back are installed. I know I am missing something.
You won't need the edging on the back side, I just built one that has 34" shelves, and only edged the front. But I'm not sure I see any problem putting the shelves (adjustable shelves, right?) If the edging goes between the face frame stiles, you will have to tilt it to get the shelf into the cabinet, then lower the back into place first, followed by dropping the front with the edging between the stiles. Or am I not following the question?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks for the reply. I may be over thinking this but I see that 1x2 that I am using for the edge jamming in the sides as I drop the shelf in. I was going to cut the width to 1/4" less that the opening.
Cut a notch into the shelf if you think you need it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Assuming that the shelves, including their edging, will be behind the face frame.....

Measure the diagonal of the 1.5" edging. If it's greater than 32", you might have a problem.

The solution might be to clip the corners of the edging. They'll be hidden by the face frame anyway, right??

Mike
1/4" less on the width will be fine (and may be more clearance than necessary). Make the depth of the shelf 1/8" or so less than the recess to accommodate maneuvering the shelf when putting it in.
Thanks!! I will try 1/8" as I can always trim more if I have to.
You can always cut more'off
You can't cut more'on

If it don't fit... Trim it
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

c = 32
b = 1-1/2

Solve for b. That's how long the shelf can be w/o binding. If that's too short then just trim the 1-1/2" stiffener.

John
make shelf 31 7/8 inches wide and c=31.91 inches