Any input on the delta 25" drum sander?
I've put a drum sander on my "I want one now" list and have been scanning CL for used ones. The most promising, so far is a grizzly 24" for $750, but from reviews it looks like I'll have to wrap the drums with H&L because the stock clips suck. One person said that would cost about $100 so I'd be $850 into a used machine.

I recently received a 10% off coupon code from HD, that is good for online or in store. I came across the delta 25", which is currently on sale for 15% off and when I plugged in the coupon code it came to $1637 shipped. The non sale price is $2069. So, is this thing worth it? Does it have the same clip troubles as the grizz?

Thanks Bob

Edit to add link.
Main issues with the delta is they sort of exist as they have been bought twice recently.. Iirc steel city sold the same unit under their name but they are defunct. I'm not sure I'd buy much anything with the delta name on it yet unless I knew I could get parts from another vendor as machines are mostly the same regardless of brand.

I'd look at going with the 24" grizzly myself new or used if you can't find another company selling that machine (for future parts)
Hmm, that's good to know, the machine says it's backed by a 5yr warranty, but that didn't mean much, with my SC table saw, when I lost the last 1.5 years of its 5yr warranty.
I wish I could find more reviews of it's quality and longevity, but there aren't many out there. The ones I found were positive, though, except for one guy that said it wasn't heavy duty enough for a cabinet shop.

The price seems pretty good, for the capacity, compared to the other brands I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice, spending $1600.

Bob
Year it's just iffy right now with delta imo. I did find that general international has the same machine. But general has had issues recently as well. I don't remember what the details were. It's not really a bad price for the machine and I have allot of tools that are from defunct companies or not supported and I always find a way.

www.general.ca/products/1_general/15_sander/15-250.html
Well, here's hoping I made the right choice, I ordered it tonight. They gave me the combo of 6 months 0% and the extra 10% off. 25% off and 0% for 6 months...hard to say no.

Bob
Well if there was one sitting at a store locally for that price I think I'd have a hard time not getting it. I think you will be happy with it. Looking at the other brands that are the same machine is seems like it's fine.

IMO any closed end sander is better than an open ended one. I have the 18x36 open ended delta back when it was made in the us but they are identical to the later ones other than cosmetics. It's just too floppy. You can flex the end of the head with just finger pressure which is why it chatters a little etc. I started making a brace for that end but never finished it.
Yeah, I've been skeptical of the open end ones for that reason, I figure 25" should cover most of my needs. Anything bigger and I can take it to a local place for a fee.

Bob