PC pancake compressor leaks
my compressor continually leaks down. sounds like it is coming from the motor area, not the drain or gauge area. any ideas?
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet."
Admiral William Frederick "Bull" Halsey Jr.

Check valve?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I've only owned one compressor that did not leak. One had a leak that required the pump go on about 4 hours apart. Several only leaked about a small amount that amounted to 24 hrs or so to need to refill.
Most of the time you can it manageable with teflon tape.
If your compressor leaks more than 3 hours apart then time to check the fittings and other stuff like gauges.

mike
MY PC pancake, which is probably about 13 years old, has a flex hose to the tank. That and its connection would be one place to look, assuming yours is made the same. There were a few variations over the years, so yours may be different, of course.

That's in addition to suggestions already offered. And look at the drain valve on the bottom, too. And back off the regulator all the way - sometimes the quick disconnect leaks.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
The hose from the pump to the tank attaches to a fitting. Is that the check valve? Air leak is somewhere inside the pump housing, may have to take it apart.
I've never pulled mine apart, but I'd bet there is no check valve proper; more likely just a pair of reed valves in the head of the compressor. They're both technically check valves, as air can flow in only one direction, but they're not stand-alone components like what would be required at the end of the hose where it enters the receiver.

So yes, you probably have to take it apart at this point, though you may only need to crack open the plastic cover to find the problem.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Once the compressor is pumped up and shut off, pull the plug and tape a small plastic bag tightly around the intake filter. If the bag fills with air, its the checks leaking back.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Another vote on the check valve. That is what leaked on mine. It is an easy fix.

Get the part here - #11

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-...1662_16410.html

(Make sure this is the right model first )

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Another vote on the check valve. That is what leaked on mine. It is an easy fix.

Get the part here - #11

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-...1662_16410.html

(Make sure this is the right model first )

Twinn

What he said! All compressors that i have owned, have had an issue there. They get gummed up. Some can be cleaned.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Wow, I stand corrected. I wouldn't have guessed they used a real check valve, rather than just the reed valves in the head.
Tom