Will BS Blade be Damaged by Glue?
I have some trial laminations using plastic resin glue that did not go well. I'm thinking about re-sawing them to recover some of the veneer for other uses. Of course, this means sawing through quite a bit of cured glue. Will a good blade survive this without damage (ie, severe dulling)?
It may survive depending on how much you have to resaw, glue is very hard on any type of blade.
Heat will kill cutting tools quickly. If your plan is to saw the glue only to separate the glue up, you will likely have a lot more glue being sawn, than wood. The glue will likely generate more heat too. Just something to think about. if you are talking about 25 bux of material, versus a $250.00 Laguna resaw blade, it's a simple math question.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The economics are not that extreme. The blade is similar to a Timberwolf in cost and the wood, while not expensive, does have an unusual grain that I would like to save. The laminations are only about 6"x 18". So, if heat is the main consideration, I can probably go slow and control that. If you think there will still be a problem with blade damage, I can switch to an old blade that probably won't cut as well and may not track as easily.
It wont instantly kill the blade, it just wears it a bit faster than cutting clean wood.
ianab said:

It wont instantly kill the blade, it just wears it a bit faster than cutting clean wood.

This + or - depending on the glue, and distance you need to cut. Probably won't know till you try it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Jack pointed this out a short while ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akVVJo3G0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UygEQ-079Ws

So, you can saw your glue, and sharpen to better than new afterwards.
Ag
I have not this so I'm only guessing but I suspect the glue will not make nice sawdust and you will clog the blade gullets quickly.

Then you push harder.

Then the glue melts.

Then you cuss and clean the cooled and hardened glue off of the blade.

Rinse and repeat.

But I could be wrong.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I remember seeing that video when it was first posted. Haven't tried it yet. I guess this is a good excuse to try sharpening one of my old blades and then use that to do the resawing.
Thanks
I tried the BS sharpening after I saw that video a while back. Take your time it will work. You will notice a difference. You also get more life out of the BS.

Good reason to buy a Dremel - I have the cordless.

Also - it doesn't take that long to do - worth the time IMO.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.