Tool Database?
I've been trying to keep a record of my various power tools for insurance, theft, inventory, whatever. Usually try to include a photo(s), date purchased, model & serial #, price, seller, size & power info, anything useful. I've been doing this on a form I made in MS Word, but it's clunky and I'd rather have something like a DB that is searchable- one that could have pix uploaded to it. Anyone know of something like that?
Carpe Ductum (Seize the Tape)
There is no obstacle that cannot be overcome with the proper application of High Explosives.
There is a program that a few here use and I downloaded it but it didn't do what I wanted it to.

It could be done as an android app pretty easily. Simple take a pic of the item then info boxes to fill in.

I'd like to do the same but it would be a gargantuan undertaking. The big tools are easy but they are only a small dollar portion of anyone's collection. All those little tools are where the $ is. My aircraft tools alone are worth way more than my big machines are. Those little things are pricey to replace.
Excel???

Hated the other option, Access.
If it were the 80's I would suggest Appleworks.....
I do mine in Excel with a separate photo album directory.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
Consider ShopFileR written by a Woodnetter. (ony if you're on Windows, he doesn't like Macs ) I only saw this recently while doing some other stuff with Skip and wish I could try it out (we are a Mac household ).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I did this using LiibreOffice Calc (Linux) which is the same as Open Office Calc or Excel (Windows). Such a spreadsheet is searchable and the listings can be arranged alphabetically or on any other key. I started with separate listings for brand/company codes (such as CR for Craftsman) and another for tool category (such as SP for stationary power or PP for portable power or M for measuring). This saves a lot of repetitive typing in the main listing. The main list includes columns for category code, brand code, tool name, model number, size, and comments. Of course, you can add any others you want. I think I can add cells that link to photos, but I haven't done it yet. This was a very tedious process, but well worth it and very easy to maintain once done.

My very first attempt was using a relational database such as MS Access. I soon found that the database is overkill and quickly abandoned it in favor of a spreadsheet.
I just started using this http://www.maddysoft.com/iphone/mystuff/

At this point I don't have an opinion about it yet which is why I started with the free version just to get a feel for it. It will do everything you want and a lot more.

This is an iOS app but there may be an adroid version as well. Super convienient on my iPad since you can just use the built-in camera. Would be good also on a smart phone.

Or, are you looking for some kind of Desk-top program.
Bill,

When I moved, I chose to pack my shop myself. I knew that I would need proof if a box was lost. My list is just a table in WordPerfect. I think Excel would work as well or better. It did not take all that long, at least compared to the time it took to pack. One column (field) is a photo reference. If I have a photo I give it a simple file name (could be photo-1). Many smaller things are just represented in a "group photo." Put the text file and the photo files on a CD and put it in a safe place.

I agree with Adams -- the replacement cost of small tools really add up, especially router bits, etc., but it would take hours to catalog all of that in detail. If that's too daunting, the collective photo would be some proof. For example, set of sockets (etc) with a photo. Remember you can magnify a digital photo on your computer to see fine detail.

Also, if you have the receipts from when you bought all that stuff, just keep them in a file

Doug
A walk through video is the easiest way to document all the little stuff, though of course it's not searchable. It might not be a bad way to record everything, so you can later go back and put it in whatever form you want, with screen capture photos for items and serial numbers. Anything you can't see, you can say as you film.
Alan S said:

A walk through video is the easiest way to document all the little stuff, though of course it's not searchable. It might not be a bad way to record everything, so you can later go back and put it in whatever form you want, with screen capture photos for items and serial numbers. Anything you can't see, you can say as you film.

And then upload it to a photo cloud so it is always available.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe