Rocker repair question
I have this old rocker I need to repair and I was wondering what the original seat would have been when it was built?

It now has springs, but I seed many many different holes. NO holes on the inside seat frame where it might have had screw holes for sheet caning. so is the spring original or was it leather like seat nailed on ?

what you guys think

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
If you turn the chair upside down, what does the hole pattern look like for the seat?
In other words, which (if any) of all those holes in the top go all of the way through?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
From the looks of it, it's had several types of seats. Could have been caning, but the light border around the hold suggests some sort of board was there, possibly holding padding and cloth cover. But then, all the holes in the dark, narrow border around the light colored border suggest upholstery tacks.

I'd say you could pretty much do what you wanted, but do have to say a padded seat with springs would be over-powering for the otherwise delicate looking style.
Dave
If the springs are ordinal then it had a cloth/horse hair cover. If the springs are not original then it could have been covered by a piece of leather - don't think it's that because of the nail holes. They would be closer together.

What is supporting the spring beneath?
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
No it was NOT caned . ever

The spring is hooked in the top of the seat at the 4 corners if you look closely you can see a cross of spring under neath corner to corner. I will get some pics under neath.
Don's woodshop
more pictures

spring hooked at corner

tack Hole pattern about every 1-1/2"

bottom

Don's woodshop
No caning for sure. I believe it was covered with cloth and the edge of the cloth had those round head nails.
John

We need to clean house.
so you think the springs were always on it ?
Don's woodshop
Yes.
John

We need to clean house.
My guess is that they used a pad of excelsior or horsehair which was wrapped in cloth. It was probably held in place by black oilcloth.

Some chairs of that period had plywood seats which were drilled with decorative hole patterns. No evidence of plywood on your chair.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com