Grandfather clock plans?
I promised a grandfather or grandmother clock to my children when they were able to buy their first house. The promise was made six years ago and now two of them are calling in the debt. I've checked Klockit, Colonial Times, and Emperor. I'm having trouble deciding, so if you have had success with one of these companies or another company I'd like to hear about it. My last grandfather clock was a Mason and Sullivan plan. That was 40 years ago and they are no longer in business. Too bad. That clock sits in our dining room and still keeps perfect time.
I'm almost positive mine is made by Emperor, we have had some minor repairs over the past 40 years, still keeps good time.
I have an Emperor That I made 42 years ago that keeps perfect time only have to reset it if I forget to wind it. I did have to replace the small spring metal connector that holds the pendulum cost all of $5.00 installed at a clock repair shop
I assembled a 30 year old Emperor kit my FIL had sitting in his garage. It might not count being so old. There were a couple things I did not like about the kit.

It was a cherry kit and there were some pieces that had sapwood. IMO, any heirloom quality kit should have zero sapwood on the visible side.

The kit used nails to secure crown molding to the body. I decided to use glue only as nails should not be used on any visible surface.

The compound miter cuts were not perfect so I had to clean them up a bit.

Overall the kit was good and the movement was very nice.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I made a tall case clock about 25 to 30 years ago, plans were from woodsmith. Still looks and works perfectly.
SteveS said:

The kit used nails to secure crown molding to the body. I decided to use glue only as nails should not be used on any visible surface.

The compound miter cuts were not perfect so I had to clean them up a bit.

Nails are SOP for cross-grain situations, as they will "give" when one piece reacts to changes in moisture. With short cross runs, might be OK with glue, but not as a general practice.

Your compound miters were cut at X% moisture content, and have been reacting since. See Hoadley for why miters always open.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
In 1999 I made the William Murray Clock from Murray Clock kit in cherry. I bought the tubular chime movement to go with it. This kit was very well preapred, all the parts fit perfectly, their support of the build was fantastic when I had a couple of questions. 16 years later the clock looks and works perfectly.

I did a quick search and they are still around under another name, I would encourage you to give them a look.

AreksMurrayClock
Richard D. Wile
Nova Scotia - Canada.

http://richard-wile.blogspot.com/