Big changes for my shop
Ive been thinking a lot this summer regarding the next step of my business for a few aspects, but the biggest is I am getting to the point of needing a helper. As my shop was, trying to get 2 people working in there at the same time, not together on the same task was going to be a challenge.

One of the first things I did (that I have always wondered if I could for years) was to store boards on edge. About a month ago it hit me while I was at the library with the kids. All the books are stored side by side, easy to get, and easy to see.

This is for my exotics, figured woods, and odd domestics. So what I had, and how it is now.....

So pumped about it. I can see the widths, and just pull a board out. Before, there was lots of pulling out to get a board on the bottom, to find I didnt like the grain pattern....and put it all back.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

that's really nice. I wish I could put mine on edge like that, but there isn't enough room
EricU said:

that's really nice. I wish I could put mine on edge like that, but there isn't enough room

Thats one reason I didnt do it for so long. All my odd stuff, figured stuff and exotics I always cut to 36" or less (since I make urns, I never need long boards) so its easier.

The rack is 6' long x 8' high x 30" deep.

My Cherry, Oak, Walnut, Maple and Pine is stood on end to the left of this. Again its the best thing for space savings vs ease of getting boards.

Ill go into other changes in the coming days when I finish up and get pics taken.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Smart thinkin'!

"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Nice collection of wood and a great way to "not" stack it. So did you buy a new tool belt, hammer, and cats paw to celebrate?
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

Great idea, especially being able to slide a board out to look at the grain.
See ya later,
Bill
glzahn said:

So did you buy a new tool belt, hammer, and cats paw to celebrate?

I got the tool belt back in the winter because I didnt have a 3 pocket belt...and I really wanted one. I dont use it IN the shop....so its been used 4-5 times. The cats paw is beat to hell...and older....

The hammer is a sweet Stiletto Titanium framing hammer. Man that thing is sweet. I only use it for driving nails, so it hasnt got much use.....I have a 22 oz stanley that is my go to for beating on stuff....its on the bottom of the belt....

That's a great idea! I might have to look into doing that myself.

Frank
Frank
Another good reason to visit libraries....
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Nice storage solution. Easy to access, see and inventory.

What items do you make for your business?

Scott