New window insert or replacement
I am looking into removing my 40-year old windows and pricing insert and replacement windows. I'm curious about recommendations that individuals may have about these options. Looking mostly at Marvin Integrity windows.
this is a big decision. While inserts can vastly improve your R factor, they're still depending on how well sealed the old frame was within the opening. However, if you want to replace the entire frame, you'll be facing striping back the siding and also installing new trim inside---a much bigger job.

I'm not sure if this will work, but just wondering if someone with an infared camera could tell how much loss was occurring around your window frame at present. If it were minimal, I'd just go with the inserts unless your siding was really bad already.
Dave
We replaced our 30-yr old aluminum windows with Marvin Integrity in early 2013. They are fabulous. We love them. I did a lot of research and we got at least 6-7 quotes from various contractors for everything from vinyl to high end wood/aluminum clad (anderson and pella).

I am a big fan of fiberglass for several reasons: low maintenance, frames expand and contract with glass since they are fiberglass, high glass surface area/narrow sash compared to all other inserts, great insulating values, great noise reduction, high quality construction, and easy opening mechanisms.

Not cheap, but in line with what I expected (approx. $1k per installed unit on average - we did 30 windows including large bay configurations, plus a custom small bay to replace failed kitchen garden window, and several casements that look great with the traditional double hung).

Recommended to a friend who is also very happy with them.

I should add that we had our aluminum siding replaced with Hardiplank at the same time, so the house exterior was open for proper weather sealing of all windows. We actually removed the old Celotex sheathing and had plywood added as well. A thorough exterior remodel.

My friend only had the windows done.
In our 70 year old house we used Marvin sash replacements. They were easy to install and sealed better than the new low end Anderson windows we put in our new house in 2005. If your current frames are solid and square sash replacements are a good option.
I replaced a good deal of my double hung windows with Marvin tilt pacs that screw into the existing frame and I used the Marvin double hung Magnum window units for the rest. I am very happy them the only issue I have is they leave little space for installing blinds inside the frame. I don't know if that will be an issue for you but in my Victorian an outside install would hide all the trim
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Look at the current frames. If they are solid then replacement sashes or inserts would be the easiest and lease about of work. If the frames have issues - usually the bottom then I would just replace the whole window. Yes you can replace that part also but if they are having issues then my guess the vertical parts will do so also soon.

We went with inserts here - built in '79 - because the frames were very solid. I did replace the whole bay window because we wanted a different look.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
There is a download from This Old House about windows here

https://thisoldhouse.netline.com/toh0002...ndow-guide
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.