Hide-a-way Gun Box (revisited)
Some of you may recall the "hide-a-way" box that I posted a couple of weeks ago. As I mentioned in that post, I intended to alter it from what it was to something a little more inconspicuous. This is what I ended up with.

Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
Very smart! Great Idea.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Well done, Jim. I wondered if there was room for the clock mechanism. Did you get the magnetic lock to work?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks Fred.. Nope. I just can't figure any way to make the lock work.
Definition of coplaner: It's the guy on the outfeed side of a planer handing the stock back to the guy on the infeed side.
I've had those magnetic locks on my kitchen cabinets and even when you know exactly where to put the magnet to unlock it, it can still take a few seconds or more to get it right. So you need to go for your gun, you have to find the magnet (ours seemed like it was never where it was supposed to be), then fumble with it to get the thing unlocked...while your a bit stressed because you need to get your gun.

if it needs more closing force than what the hinges give it seems a rare earth magnet strong enough to keep it tightly closed but opens with a good pull would be a better idea.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

meackerman said:

I've had those magnetic locks on my kitchen cabinets and even when you know exactly where to put the magnet to unlock it, it can still take a few seconds or more to get it right. So you need to go for your gun, you have to find the magnet (ours seemed like it was never where it was supposed to be), then fumble with it to get the thing unlocked...while your a bit stressed because you need to get your gun.

if it needs more closing force than what the hinges give it seems a rare earth magnet strong enough to keep it tightly closed but opens with a good pull would be a better idea.

I thought about the lost/misplaced key thing, AND the stress level. I used a magnetic door catch, but even that is pretty strong, and may be hard to open in a hurry since there is nothing to hook your fingers under to open it. I'm going to try and find a door catch that is not quite so strong first, and if all else fails, just let the hinges do the work.
a lot of the magnetic door catches can have their pull adjusted by how close you mount the magnetic part to the plate.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

It is a lot more convincing as a clock. Make sure that the battery gets changed. A stopped clock would be a giveaway.

Much better.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Well, Duh!! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks